Respected Contributor

I will be upgrading my Samsung Galaxy s10+ in a couple weeks.  A friend of my recently lost all of her photos on her phone for no apparent reason, ugh.  I am by no means a techie and I can hear some eyes rolling now, but what/ how is the best way to ensure photos are stored permanently besides using photo sticks or saving to a desktop which could fail as well?  I want to get this done before I upgrade my phone.  TIA!  

Trusted Contributor

Nothing is failproof. If you're concerned about a backup failing or being lost, make more than one backup. You can use a computer, an external drive, a cloud drive, an SD card, a USB drive, a photo website, or any other device with storage space. You should back up your important computer files too.

Honored Contributor

Burn the photos onto a disc

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

The photos that I want to save on my phone are downloaded onto Amazon Photo...their app is avaible to put on your phone.  

So by going to Amazon photos you can see your photos on phone app and also on computer...can create albums also!

So new phone? just put Amazon Photo app on the new phone and you're all set Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  Forgive my ignorance, but not sure how to do that via my cell. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I have an older model (7), but I've allways kept an SD card  in my phone and any photos I take I move over to the card.  At any point you can take out the card and copy photos wherever your want.   

I actually set it up in 'settings' that whenever I shot a pic that it will automatically go to the card but I've found that isn't happening at all anymore so I have to go into it, after the fact, and move the photos.  I don't take that many photos on the phone, anyway, so it's no biggie.

But, at least, when you put a card in the phone and put all pics or whatever onto the card they won't be subject to something happening on the phone, plus they don't take up space on the phone.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@Mz iMac  Forgive my ignorance, but not sure how to do that via my cell. Thanks!

@BornToShop 

Transfer your photos to a computer.  If your comp has a DVD/CD slot, you can burn from your computer.  Otherwise, you will need an external CD/DVD drive to burn.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I keep a micro SD card in my phone for photos and then I also save them automatically to both Google photos and Amazon Prime photos. Both Google and Amazon are so fast in uploading the photos that sometimes I'll decide to delete one shortly after taking it only to find it's already been saved in their clouds. That gives me triple redundancy. The photos are on my phone, in Google's cloud, and Amazon's cloud, and I can access them from any of those sources.

If you're using an Android phone chances are it's automatically saving your photos to Google's cloud unless you specifically told it not to. And there's no reason to tell it not to save them, so they could still be there, even though you think you lost them. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I will be upgrading my Samsung Galaxy s10+ in a couple weeks.  A friend of my recently lost all of her photos on her phone for no apparent reason, ugh.  I am by no means a techie and I can hear some eyes rolling now, but what/ how is the best way to ensure photos are stored permanently besides using photo sticks or saving to a desktop which could fail as well?  I want to get this done before I upgrade my phone.  TIA!  

@BornToShop

what phone are you buying to, replace your S10 plus? Are you having a problem with Android 11?

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg I'm upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy s20.  I'm eligible to do so and I've had Samsung phones forever; love these phones!   @gardenman  @chickenbutt @namaste000 @Caffeina @chickenbutt and @Mz iMac cleared the mud so I have peace of mind my photos are safe!  Thank you all for your great responses!!