Regular Contributor

Presentation of RFID blocking item - did he really just say that?????

The other day I was watching a Q-Check (or something) and they were presenting an item that had RFID blocking capability. The vendor (or expert or whoever it was that isn't the host) that was presenting with the host said that the RFID blocking was for blocking the ability to read the magnetic strip. Huh?!?!?!?

Note to vendors - learn about the item you are trying to sell before you say things that are inaccurate.

Sorry - I don't recall the exact show or item or I would post the link to the product page. If I find it, I'll update this post.

Found it! http://www.qvc.com/HALO-Set-of-2-3000-mAh-Ultra-Slim-Portable-Charger-w-RFID-Card-Wallet.product.E22...

Honored Contributor

Re: Presentation of RFID blocking item - did he really just say that?????

Say what? You do not believe, or do not understand RFID blocking?
hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

On 12/16/2014 hckynut said: Say what? You do not believe, or do not understand RFID blocking?

I believe the OP has it right. RFID blocks CHIPS not magnetic strips.

Super Contributor

<h3></h3> <h1>RFID Protection FAQ</h1> <h2>Why do you need an RFID Wallet, Secure Sleeve®, or Secure Badgeholder®?</h2>

RFID technology is already being used in numerous consumer products and is constantly expanding. With well over 200 million credit and debit cards, millions of hotel room keys, all US Passports issued since October 2006, a growing number of state driver’s licenses, work IDs and even transit cards all using RFID chips, more personal information is at risk than ever before.

These chips contain first page passport information including your photo. The special driver’s licenses from New York, Michigan, Washington, Vermont are “enhanced” with long-range RFID chips. Overall, enough data that identity theft is an ongoing threat for owners of RFID enabled products. For a quick overview, check out this infographic.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

On 12/16/2014 BesottedwithEskies said:
On 12/16/2014 hckynut said: Say what? You do not believe, or do not understand RFID blocking?

I believe the OP has it right. RFID blocks CHIPS not magnetic strips.

and I agree
hckynut(john)