Valued Contributor

I got a message that my computer had a problem and when checking with Dell it said I needed a Power Bank.  They sent me to a page to buy one from them but couldn't I purchase one locally but it wouldn't be a Dell.  Any recommendations on this.  Need  65WH.  My computer battery no longer is good but since I use it at home I just plug it in. 

Honored Contributor

I'd be suspicious since they so generously offered to sell you one.  I'd have it checked at a computer repair shop.  If needed, you could probably buy one there too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Power Bank for Computer

[ Edited ]

I would just buy a compatible off-brand battery and then either put it in yourself or take it somewhere to have them put it in for you. Off-brands are just as good as the original brand but usually cost a lot less. The money you'll save in battery cost can be used to pay someone to put it in for you....another way of looking at it.

BatteriesPlus stores and Walmart both sell laptop batteries. 

Valued Contributor

Kachina624

I ran a check on the computer and then Dell Assist gave me a page to go to.  I put in the information and this is what showed, the power bank.  My battery hasn't been good for about 2 years.  I did wonder if keeping a dead battery in my computer would leak or damage the computer.  I checked Dell 2 years ago and couldn't find a battery for my computer, the power bank came up.  I did see some online but wonder if it will not last very long.

Honored Contributor

@kismet 

Most people carry a power bank with them when they travel or when they don't have access to a wall outlet (electricity). But still, you need to have a viable battery in place for the power bank to work meaning the power bank recharges the battery so you can use your laptop w/o having to plug the laptop into a wall outlet which seems to be what you are doing. In that case you don't need to buy a power bank. Leaving a dead battery inside a laptop does not pose any threat. You'll be fine with leaving it there.

Honored Contributor

Re: Power Bank for Computer

[ Edited ]

@kismet 

In the event of a power outage, your laptop will not function since you are plugging it into a wall outlet for power. In that unfortunate case you have the option to buy what is called a backup power supply which is basically a large rechargeable battery used to power up electronics during power outages. It has nothing to do with a dead battery inside your laptop or a power bank. If you're interested in that type of thing then let me know. I can help you with finding one.

In addition to providing power for your laptop, a backup power supply will also provide power for your wifi router and as you know w/o a router you have no internet.

A backup power supply can also be used to recharge your cell phone or tablet, too, much like what a power bank does.

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I got a message that my computer had a problem and when checking with Dell it said I needed a Power Bank.  They sent me to a page to buy one from them but couldn't I purchase one locally but it wouldn't be a Dell.  Any recommendations on this.  Need  65WH.  My computer battery no longer is good but since I use it at home I just plug it in. 

What did it say the problem was?  Frankly, there's no reason for a computer to need a power bank unless you're going to be somewhere where there's no electricity. (And by the way, the Dell power bank is ridiculously expensive at $209.99.)

Is the computer still working? If not, you could simply need a new power adapter (often called bricks) instead of a power bank. The bricks have a transformer and circuitry that changes house electricity into something the computer can use. Transformers tend to fail over time and it's possible your power brick just bit the dust. A quick Google shows power adapters for Dell Laptops (65 watt ones) at $15-$26 at places like Amazon, Walmart, etc. (Assuming you need a 65 watt one. The label on your existing one should tell you the power rating.) 

If the computer is working fine, then just keep using it. Computers will sometimes just throw weird error messages for no reason. If it's a battery issue, then the folks at Ifixit.com likely have a very good tutorial on how to replace the battery and can often even supply you with the necessary battery or guide you to one. Good luck!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

gardenman, yesterday I ran the test and it said "Critical Process Died".   I put my ID number in the Dell site and this is what came up.  Today the same page came up and I just did an exit and didn't run anything.  My computer is working fine but now with that page showing up it takes a few minutes to open after I exit the page.  I would like to get a new battery in this but am hesitant to open the computer and check the battery.  I did go on a site and it says my Dell 5000 17" takes a certain battery for $102. A 3 cell came in it according to my papers.  It did seem strange to me why the power bank was needed when plugged in it works. I'll check out the lfixit.com site.  Thanks.

Valued Contributor

gardenman,  still not sure what's going on but I did check my windows updates and two were put in the day before I noticed a problem.  so I plan to take the two out.  Then I remember there was a Firefox update the day before so have to check to see if that could be a problem.  Thing is for two days my computer started up fine, then the next day I got the adapter message again.  Today it's fine and opened with no problem.  Doesn't seem to be consistent now.  I did stop the windows updates until next month to see if I can figure it out.  I checked all the items in Device Manager and nothing seemed to need an update.  I always wonder why something changes overnight when the computer is turned off.