Honored Contributor

Our "house" phone has stopped working - recommendations for a new one?

We've had it a long time. The kids want us to give it up completely and just use cell phones. I don't want to do that, because I don't want everyone to know my cell number. 

What we would like is one with 4 handsets, preferably one that can be mounted on a wall - if they still make them. The Panasonic we've had has lasted a long time and has been a good phone, but we need a new one fast!

I'd appreciate any help you can give me! TIA! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our "house" phone has stopped working - recommendations for a new one?

[ Edited ]

I'm with you, don't want to get rid of my landline & don't want everyone having my cell #. You don't say if the phone that isn't working has an answering machine. If it does, unplug it from the outlet, count to 30 and plug it back in, see if that does the trick. Not often but once in awhile mine goes awry and says some weird thing about out of range of base or somesuch thing and now and again it's blinking something about needing to set the date & time. I don't what causes these glitches but unplugging from the outlet and counting to 30 and plugging back in fixes what ails it. Mine is an AT&T w/the base unit w/answering machine and 2 others with just a little wee base they sit in and mine are probably at least 6 or 8 years old but it's easy to find what you want w/the number of phones you want. Costco or BJ's if you belong, probably Walmart or almost any store like that. I think they all come with an adaptor thingy so you call wall mount the main unit if you so choose. I know mine did. Mine came from either Staples or Office Max, whichever it was it's no longer in business, at least in my neck of the woods.

Honored Contributor

A lot of people (including myself) have this phone!  It's wonderful!  It has a button where you can block the number that called you.  You'll get so you'll love it when those sales people call you and you've blocked their number.  Just push the button that says "Block call" it asks you and you push "yes".  It's easy to unblock calls if you change your mind.

I bought mine from HSN but just google and you might find it cheaper other places.  Best Buy someone says sells it too:

Panasonic Corded and Cordless Phone System w/Call Block

Occasional Contributor

I saw your post and hope this will help you....   I too had my land line die about 8 months ago.   I remembered  someone raving on these boards about a phone at HSN that happened to be on sale.   Long story short, I purchased it and have been extremely pleased.  It is by PANASONIC, has a base phone and three additional  'carry with you' phones that charge in their own base.  It also came with CALLER BLOCK, which was what I really needed.   Just looked it up now.....   # 439-439, on sale for $89.95 (free shipping).   It has a nice look  (white back with a silver/taupe color front).  All the  phones work  very well and the caller block  just sold me.  You can block 250 numbers by pushing one key.  I hope yousee this tonight as it is "on sale" today.  Good luck, Patt

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone! We went with the Panasonic KX-TG7875S. It has bluetooth capability, and DH liked the feature that you could get calls from your cell phone on it. Also, you can get notifications on your cell phone from the home phone. It really isn't that important to me. I just want a phone that works, but that feature would help him. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom, Panasonic makes the best home phones.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@beach-mom, Panasonic makes the best home phones.  LM

Good to know @Lilysmom! TY! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@beach-mom - just remember, a cordless phone will not work in a power outage.  They need electricity.  We have had several people we know be very surprised they had no landline without a corded phone when the power went out during a storm.  We have a corded base set and 3 portable ones.  I like that the one you chose can communicate with a cell phone.  

Respected Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@beach-mom - just remember, a cordless phone will not work in a power outage.  They need electricity.  We have had several people we know be very surprised they had no landline without a corded phone when the power went out during a storm.  We have a corded base set and 3 portable ones.  I like that the one you chose can communicate with a cell phone.  

And that is why i have two very old telephones plugged into phone jacks with the ringers turned off!  One of the phones is a trimline probably from the 1970s and still kicking!!

Honored Contributor

@ceekay wrote:

@ceekay - Thanks for the reminder! We do have that taken care of, but it is something that we might not think about. During the summer, I'm not as diligent about keeping my cell phone charged. This reminds me I need to do that! Smiley Happy