Super Contributor

Sorry, but many large corporations feel the same way. A colleague of mine is involved in a group that pulls corporate recruters, HR, hiring manager, etc. from many corporations together once a month to discuss various issues and share ideas and this was a topic discussed within the last year. Most chimed in that their company viewed online degree recipients the same way. It is not a very foolish way to do business, have you ever worked with someone who only went to college online? As ury points out, classroom environment, work groups, campus interaction, etc. develop many skills needed in today's business environment. Communication skills, presentation skills, basic etiquette, those are just some of the things online does not provide. Colonel Meow, yes, questions during the interview process do ferret out this type of information. Sometimes it is very easy to see from a resume that the candidate has an online degree. Do your homework outside of the university or program you are thinking of attending to determine how the outside world views online degrees from that university or program. Also, it may depend on your career area, for example, advanced nursing degrees do tend to be accepted from online programs more readily than corporate America. Sorry again that some don't like to hear it, but trying to give you an inside perspective from a large corporation.

Super Contributor
On 7/31/2014 RocketMom said:

Sorry, but many large corporations feel the same way. A colleague of mine is involved in a group that pulls corporate recruters, HR, hiring manager, etc. from many corporations together once a month to discuss various issues and share ideas and this was a topic discussed within the last year. Most chimed in that their company viewed online degree recipients the same way. It is not a very foolish way to do business, have you ever worked with someone who only went to college online? As ury points out, classroom environment, work groups, campus interaction, etc. develop many skills needed in today's business environment. Communication skills, presentation skills, basic etiquette, those are just some of the things online does not provide. Colonel Meow, yes, questions during the interview process do ferret out this type of information. Sometimes it is very easy to see from a resume that the candidate has an online degree. Do your homework outside of the university or program you are thinking of attending to determine how the outside world views online degrees from that university or program. Also, it may depend on your career area, for example, advanced nursing degrees do tend to be accepted from online programs more readily than corporate America. Sorry again that some don't like to hear it, but trying to give you an inside perspective from a large corporation.

RocketMom - Actually, I didn't receive my education online. I had the traditional B&M experience at a top-ranked university. I do agree that perception of online degrees may vary depending on the field.

I work in mental health, and can tell you that many of my colleagues who earned their BAs at B&M schools chose the online route for their advanced degrees - simply due to the fact that our state university system offers tuition vouchers to state employees. Many of the graduate programs are offered online to accommodate working professionals.

It is quite common in my field for professionals to attain advanced degrees online. The difference is that they earn their degrees from well-respected and accredited state universities, rather than the "degree mills" that allow anyone to graduate as long as the check clears.

I think we all know which schools these are, but I will not name them, lest I offend anyone here who might call it their alma mater, lol!

Super Contributor

Colonel Meow, I hear you! Have a great day!

Occasional Contributor
On 7/27/2014 RocketMom said:

I work for a Fortune 500 company and can tell you that if we see online degrees on a resume, the candidate is not even considered, end of story. That said, there are many programs that offer a mix of classroom and online and it is a great way to take some courses. In terms of computers, get whatever you feel comfortable using and make sure you have a great internet connections. Best of luck in pursuing your advanced degree!

I didn't get a degree online, but did take some online classes. I included them on my resume when applying for another position with my then (& current) employer. The classes really didn't have much to do with the job in question, so initially, I regretted having them on the resume. However, the hiring committee asked me more about those two classes than anything else. As it turned out, that is what impressed them. It showed them I could work with minimal supervision, manage time and accomplish goals.

Trusted Contributor
I also teach online ( I have a Ph.D ) and agree with those who have said that you will have most of what you need as long as you have a good Internet connection, good virus protection, good time management skills, a strong work ethic, and a willingness to ask questions if you find yourself struggling with technology. My school requires some online courses of all students, and like many schools, offers whole degrees totally online. It is, after all, 2014 and all students and professors are expected to be able to use technology that reflects current times. The courses are not watered down. Most transcripts do not indicate online or non-online course.
Honored Contributor
Just updating with a little new information- i've been invited to apply and encouraged to think that based on my creds, I'll be accepted AND- I can probably take my classes on my iPad. I've gotten the list of courses, and they're both interesting and relevant to what I'd want to use them for. Getting very enthused.......
Honored Contributor

I can see if you're in the field where a minimum undergraduate degree is required (ie nursing, accounting, law enforcement, etc), an online program to get such degree is advisable. But other skill-based fields (anything artsy, sales, retail management) where your personality is key, a $$ degree looks nice on a resume, but not required. Can't tell you in the 30yrs I was employed, the amount of senior sales management positions filled by people that have a born-skill to manage people...something a degree can't provide. Versus...an executive admin in a sales area that spent $$$ on a degree...only to remain an executive admin, yrs later....all paper, no show. Depends on the job you want.

Respected Contributor
On 8/22/2014 sidsmom said:

I can see if you're in the field where a minimum undergraduate degree is required (ie nursing, accounting, law enforcement, etc), an online program to get such degree is advisable. But other skill-based fields (anything artsy, sales, retail management) where your personality is key, a $$ degree looks nice on a resume, but not required. Can't tell you in the 30yrs I was employed, the amount of senior sales management positions filled by people that have a born-skill to manage people...something a degree can't provide. Versus...an executive admin in a sales area that spent $$$ on a degree...only to remain an executive admin, yrs later....all paper, no show. Depends on the job you want.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

Trusted Contributor

I am currently enrolled in a Master's program and the last class I needed met in person but cancelled. I am now taking the course online. I post all assignments via Blackboard and I also post papers to Live Text.

All of the classes I took in person are also offered online. One of my co-workers is doing the same thing I am doing but all online. I prefer face to face classes, but all you need is a computer with an online connection, Word, Powerpoint, and Excel.

Online classes generally give you more work to do. For example, I have to do nine article reviews online whereas the in person class did not have to do those.

One of the posters mentioned paying 26K for her degree from an online only school. {#emotions_dlg.scared} Holy smokes!

Super Contributor
I'm taking one online class now. IPad works fine for everything except it is an Office class! I have to buy a laptop with office or run into the computer lab. I really like online classes although I commuted for my MS. The SF earthquake in 90 or 91 happened right in the middle of it. You could check with the school but you should be fine. Good luck! You'll never regret getting an advanced degree.