Contributor

Best of these two, please?

Windows 10 or Chrome...

Thank you

Frequent Contributor

All I know is that I have had about 5 computers that operated with Windows (the last two with Windows 10) and one Chromebook with OS.  I hated all the problems with Windows but never once had a problem with my Chromebook.  I am looking for a new Chromebook for Christmas.  The experts might have a different opinion.  My opinion is from a users perspective only.

Honored Contributor

The 'best' one would depend on what you will be using it for. Chrome OS is web browser based and is somewhat simple and smaller in it's design. It's good for people who just need to surf, shop, do email and social networking. Very simple and user friendly. 

Are you looking at Chromebooks? @patricia38 

Honored Contributor

Here's Google's support page about Chromebooks. It may answer some of your questions:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3265094?hl=en

@patricia38 

Contributor

Thanks everyone.  I was asking for my SIL...she's looking at the Chromebook.  All she does is play games on FB and open email...and that's it.   I have Win 7 for years, so not familiar with Chrome.

Thanks for the link, Sillee Mae,I will send to her.

Trusted Contributor

@patricia38 

You are extremely limited with Chromebooks.   I use one for school and it causes nothing but problems. I would never purchase my own.

Esteemed Contributor

@patricia38

@patricia38 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  I was asking for my SIL...she's looking at the Chromebook.  All she does is play games on FB and open email...and that's it.   I have Win 7 for years, so not familiar with Chrome.

Thanks for the link, Sillee Mae,I will send to her.

Windows 7 will no longer get monthly security updates after January 14, 2020. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have had both... and I have had windows for a longer period of time. and now that I have Chromebooks I will never go back to a windows device again.

Esteemed Contributor

@patricia38

Your SIL should consider an IPad. Amazon sells them for less than the Apple store. Black Friday Amazon might have a sale. 

Esteemed Contributor

Chrome by far... Windows devices are a nightmare. And those dreaded updates.