Respected Contributor

If you call a telephone number and get the message. "Please leave your numeric information after the tone".

What does that mean?

Respected Contributor

no expert here.  text # ?

Honored Contributor

A callback number perhaps?  I'm not sure I'd be leaving any information, if there wasn't more of an explanation than that.

Is this a company you regularly deal with?

Honored Contributor

Maybe you reached a spy.............ya know......007!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

If you call a telephone number and get the message. "Please leave your numeric information after the tone".

What does that mean?

You leave a call back number.  The original pagers only had numeric messages.  I carried one for years.  

Respected Contributor

@Venezia

@Venezia wrote:

A callback number perhaps?  I'm not sure I'd be leaving any information, if there wasn't more of an explanation than that.

Is this a company you regularly deal with?

Not a company.  Our phone rang.  Caller ID listed name of individual and a local phone number.  Call disconnected as soon as our answering machine picked up.  

I just got curious and called the phone number back.  When it answered that was the message.   I just hung up.  

Our nuisance/robocalls come in waves.  This morning we got three in an hour.  Then we don't get them for days.

A short time ago I got a call which listed a neighbor's name.  I contacted her; the number was linked to a fax machine they use in their business.  She was glad I called to alert someone was spoofing the number.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny,

A telephone number?  Most have some sort of caller ID, no?  Seems like numerics would be visible. Our ID says "unknown/out of area", but it always shows the numbers.

Since you made the call, you knew who you were calling. Me, if I was calling a number to talk with someone, I leave the date/day/time of day, and my name, just in case it doesn't show up.

Maybe numeric means those numbers like date and time!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut

John, our Caller ID showed the man's name and a local exchange phone number.  Before calling the number I googled the telephone number and it was listed under his name (though that info may not be current or correct).

It was just odd when I dialed the number, it was answered with enter your numeric information.   Almost like instructions when you call your own phone number to retrieve voice mails.

I was just wondering if anyone here ever heard such a message when they dialed a telephone number.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

I missed the part where you were calling a number from your caller ID. Numbers I do not recognize, and there is no message? I block, and then delete from our Caller ID Log. I never call numbers I do not recognize and they leave no message. That's just how I do it. 

Thank you for clarifying what you meant.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny- Odd things are happening everywhere.  Recently, a family member has been getting calls that show the name of one of my brother's, but it isn't his number.  The exchange is the same, but not the last four digits.

Scammers are everywhere and getting more and more devious.