Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My HP printer died the last week.  It was 8 years old - so I tossed it

@ALRATIBA  If your old printer came w/a USB cord, hope you did not toss it!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My HP printer died the last week.  It was 8 years old - so I tossed it

@ALRATIBA  If your old printer came w/a USB cord, hope you did not toss it!

Many new HP printers connect only with wireless and use an app to adjust the setting.

Honored Contributor

Re: New WiFi Printer

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac 

Somewhere around here I have a box of cables from old computers and printers.  AND .... you can buy USB cables from Amazon and lots of other places.

I unplugged the old printer and took it cables and all down to the recycle room.  It was "adopted" by someone within hours.

The new printer is strictly wireless .... no USB connection.  

---------------------------

ETA:  An advantage of living in an our aparetment complex.  Just have to bring unwanted items down to recycle room.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My HP printer died the last week.  It was 8 years old - so I tossed it and bought another HP printer from Amazon ...  this one is a WiFi (wireless).  (My laptop is HP from Best Buy.) 

(I ordered the printer on Thursday, it was delivered on Friday.)

I was a little leary about a wireless printer ... but the price was right.  My WiFi set up was out-dated - so I expected there might be an issue.

When I tried to set up the printer on Friday - THERE WAS an issue with my WiFi ... so I called my cable provider* on Friday afternoon and they sent out a tech yesterday (Monday). 

Turned out that my router had to be adjusted.  

This morning I added the printer to some of my other software ... it was a snap and I'm up and running.

*(Astound Cable provides excellent service.)

Between WiFi and bluetooth hearing aids .... I'm connected to my phone, computer, printer and TV.

What did they 'adjust'? I never heard of that before. Routers need to be updated from time to time by unplugging the power cord from the wall. Plug it back in and it will update the router's software and clear out unnecessary accumulated data (gets there over time). When you do that you improve function, speed and boost security protection from cyber threats by not allowing stuff to enter into your network thru your router.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations.  We bought a WiFi printer earlier this year and I installed it myself.  And I usually have trouble with technology.  It was that easy.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

When I first attempted to "attach" the printer, I got an error message that it couldn't link to my WiFi and there was a string of letters and numbers with the error message.  DIdn't have a clue what it meant.

So - I called my provider, explained my issue and they sent a tech out.  

I don't know what he adjusted ... but he used some skinny screwdriver thing and turned something on the bottom of the router and did some other stuff on the computer and modem.  I wasn't about to ask him to explain to me what he was doing.  

--------------------------------------------

@SilleeMee wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My HP printer died the last week.  It was 8 years old - so I tossed it and bought another HP printer from Amazon ...  this one is a WiFi (wireless).  (My laptop is HP from Best Buy.) 

(I ordered the printer on Thursday, it was delivered on Friday.)

I was a little leary about a wireless printer ... but the price was right.  My WiFi set up was out-dated - so I expected there might be an issue.

When I tried to set up the printer on Friday - THERE WAS an issue with my WiFi ... so I called my cable provider* on Friday afternoon and they sent out a tech yesterday (Monday). 

Turned out that my router had to be adjusted.  

This morning I added the printer to some of my other software ... it was a snap and I'm up and running.

*(Astound Cable provides excellent service.)

Between WiFi and bluetooth hearing aids .... I'm connected to my phone, computer, printer and TV.

What did they 'adjust'? I never heard of that before. Routers need to be updated from time to time by unplugging the power cord from the wall. Plug it back in and it will update the router's software and clear out unnecessary accumulated data (gets there over time). When you do that you improve function, speed and boost security protection from cyber threats by not allowing stuff to enter into your network thru your router.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   I've always had Apple routers.  Through their router app you can go into the router which as settings for you to adjust, change, add and/or remove certain settings.

2.png

For some strange reason, Apple got out of the router business.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@SilleeMee   I've always had Apple routers.  Through their router app you can go into the router which as settings for you to adjust, change, add and/or remove certain settings.

2.png

For some strange reason, Apple got out of the router business.

Spectrum's  routers use an app and are not customer friendly. You can not change any settings except the SSID name and password. So you need a tech.

The company doesn't like people to purchase their own router, bc Spectrum can't monitor the device. 

So everyone's router uses the same channel 11 for the 2.4GHz band, and 44 for the 5GHz. 

It is like a traffic jam where nothing moves, bad signal and slow internet. 

Super Contributor

Every router I've had allowed me to get into the settings and chage what I want.  I currently have a Linksys and was in the settings yesterday.  When I get a new router, I change the default name and password so I don't have to reconnect all of my devices.  Saves a lot of time and I don't have to worry about forgetting one.  I'd like to know how Mom2Dogs is going to use a thumb drive with an iPad.  You really need a computer for work.