Valued Contributor

New TV Roku-ready or buy the Roku separately?

[ Edited ]

Hello knowledgable electronics frriends! Looking for advice regarding purchasing a new television. We stream through Spectrum and have a separate Roku box on this tv. We are planning to buy an additional new set in the next month or so. Trying to figure out if it's better to buy a set with Roku built into it or to get one without it and buy the Roku device separately. Any thoughts on which is the better option?  Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

Re: New TV Roku-ready or buy the Roku separately?

Hi!!  Check the TVs at Walmart.com with the Roku built in.  We purchased one what an amazing price.  Trying to get another one, but they are out of Stock.  Happy Shopping!

Honored Contributor

I don't think it much matters.  But, if I was in the market, I'd ask one of the techies at Best Buy. With a separate Roku device, you're free to use it on other TVs.  And If it malfunctions, you don't have to get rid of the whole TV.

Honored Contributor

i would look at other specs for the TV first,  a roku device is cheap  so adding one to a better TV at the end of the day is not a big deal to me

I would go a better quality picture + sound + size then add my streaming devices all within my budget 

Respected Contributor

ITA with @BN MI about the pricing at Wal-mart. We bought our first roku TV there about a year ago . I think a 40 ". I have loved it ! 

I have also had and still do have the separate rokus on other tvs . They last a long time in my experience and you can switch them onto other tvs if that is a plus for you. I love how easy roku products are to set up ! 

good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marybella 

I personally prefer buying peripherals for most of my audio/video set ups. Combine them and if 1 function quits? Could lose the whole set up. Not so with peripherals, plus most are portable, thus can be used on more than 1 device and/or location. Generally even cheaper in the long run.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Both the Roku TVs and the Roku devices are fairly inexpensive nowadays. I bought a Roku TV just for the convenience of it plus it was on less thing I'd have to connect. If you need a new TV, you might as well get one with the Roku built into it. There's really not a big difference in price from one that doesn't have it.

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. Looks like six of one- half dozen of another. Guess I'll see first if there is a good quality tv with Roku built into it for a decent price and if not, just buy another Roku box.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marybella 

This might help...

On Roku dot com there is a list of the brands which offer Roku. Just google:

What brands of smart TVs offer Roku TV™?

I own a TCL w/Roku. It's a top-rated TV and the most popular brand sold overseas.
Respected Contributor

@Marybella wrote:

Thanks everyone. Looks like six of one- half dozen of another. Guess I'll see first if there is a good quality tv with Roku built into it for a decent price and if not, just buy another Roku box.

Personally, I would never buy a TV because of the apps included or because Roku, Netflix, or Amazon is built in.  The quality of the picture and sound is far more important.  Most smart TVs will allow you to add apps or a device if needed.  I recently bought a 32 inch Samsung for a new bedroom.  I was able to add all of the apps I use except one.  Since it's bluetooth enabled, I can mirror my phone and watch the app that way.