Honored Contributor

Guess it's time for a new tablet.  I had to get a new phone last year right after Christmas as it quit working.  I couldn't even get into my contacts to make a call.  I knew my tablet was getting outdated.  My son-in-law hacked into it a couple of years ago and updated it past what the manufacturer allowed for.  Did you know they do that?  Planned obsolescence.  The tablet was perfectly capable of handling the update, but they won't update without hacking into them, and then you have to be ready to buy in case the hack doesn't work and turns your tablet into a brick.  I was at that point then.  so I guess I got a lot more life out of it than I should have.  I really love my case for it too which, of course, will not fit anything new that I get.  

Tonight kinda drove home the point.  We are having storms and tornadoes, and because I have DirecTV, anytime we get significant rain my TV signal goes out.  Since we have tornadoes, I really want to keep up with the weather, and I cannot access the live stream due to outdated equipment.  Luckily, I can still access it on my computer, but I like using the tablet for that.  

I actually looked at tablets online a few months ago and was kinda disappointed in what I was finding.  I have a Samsung Note and specifically want one that works with a stylus so I can use it to draw.  My husband has an iPad, but they are so expensive and it seems like you have to pay for most of their apps vs Android.  I was the first one to get a tablet when Android was all that was available and is also compatible with my Android phone.  We both use Mac computers, but that is not really a factor in the decision.  

Esteemed Contributor

We are an anti Mac family; I use a Fire and DH uses a Samsung.  If you were happy with Samsung, why not buy a newer version of that?  I agree that Mac anything costs more than it should.

Honored Contributor

@patbz , Yeah, kinda looks like my choice is between and iPad Pro or Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.  Those seem to be the only two that come WITH the stylus.  If I get one without the stylus and add one I have to worry about storing the stylus, although I'm not quite sure if stylus storage is actually on-board either device.  My husband's stylus which I think he got aftermarket stores on the case.  Before he got the case, I think he kept losing it.  

When I Google best tablets, even the newest reports talk about a Lenovo Yoga tablet that looks very interesting, but it appears they no longer make that tablet.  It seems like nothing seems to have the functionality of my older tablet.   I ran into that same problem when I had to replace my printer.  None of the newer ones had the functionality of my older printer, so I ended up replacing it with the same older model. 

I was looking the other day for a new sound machine to sleep to and nothing looks to be near as nice as the one I already have which has built-in radio, alarm, CD player.  The only reason I'm looking to replace it is that it looks like the light is going out on it.  If that happens, I won't be able to see the time in the dark and may not be able to see to change the alarm. 

Super Contributor

I have a lot of Apple products and I have only paid for 2 of my many apps. Most that I've seen and used have been free. Personally, I like that Apple products are so easy to use and are so interconnected. They are expensive but there are some deals out there. I used to have Samsung, Asus, and Fire tablets (which I still have but rarely use). 

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess :  Why don't you replace your sound machine with any member of the Echo family?  You can operate it from your smart phone and we stick with free music from Prime.  Sometimes we listen to ocean sounds or a storm.  Sometimes it's James Taylor (or a number of other choices).  The best part is echos start at $25 (I'd attach a small speaker for optimum sound).  It's easily the best investment I've made for well under $100.

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@Icegoddess :  Why don't you replace your sound machine with any member of the Echo family?  You can operate it from your smart phone and we stick with free music from Prime.  Sometimes we listen to ocean sounds or a storm.  Sometimes it's James Taylor (or a number of other choices).  The best part is echos start at $25 (I'd attach a small speaker for optimum sound).  It's easily the best investment I've made for well under $100.

I don't want Echo, Alexa, anything like that in my house much less in my bedroom.  My phone even charges in the living room, not the bedroom.  I do realize smart phones and smart TV's listen in all the time too, but I'm not adding more listening devices in.  No TV in the bedroom either. 

Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

I have a lot of Apple products and I have only paid for 2 of my many apps. Most that I've seen and used have been free. Personally, I like that Apple products are so easy to use and are so interconnected. They are expensive but there are some deals out there. I used to have Samsung, Asus, and Fire tablets (which I still have but rarely use). 

@Toot1920 maybe things have changed.  I just remember a lot of people complaining about having to pay for so many of the apps, but that was when it was a new device.  Maybe now that it has become as accepted as Android and designers design for both the charging for apps has gone away.   I do know that Apple has a higher standard for safety of apps before allowing them in their store.

Super Contributor

As a former K/Fire Fan, with all sizes from 6”/8.9”,

I decided to “take a bite of an APPLE” and bought the 

Gen.6/Rosegold Ipad for $249, on Sale.

I use a stylus that cost $1.

The FINTIE case was $10.

I gave away all my K/Fires except 2/HDX and the earliest 6”.

Havent touched them for a year.

This Ipad never drags, flickers, reboots, etc.

It just works.

good luck in making your decision 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need a new Tablet

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5e 128 GB tablet for $409 from Amazon. The 64 GB tablet is $369. This tablet  does not have a stylus. This was a great price.

Best Buy is selling these tablets for $30 more. 

I would recommend the Samsung Galaxy  S6. It has a stylus. The tablet comes with 128 or 256 GB of storage, and Android 9.0. 

The S4 tablet is a older product and  has an older version of Android. You will not get updates as long. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need a new Tablet

[ Edited ]

If I was in the market for a new tablet then I would buy me the new Google Pixel Slate tablet. That has the Chrome OS. I like that it has a bigger screen (12.3"). Pens and keyboards are optional purchases.

Right now I'm using a convertible 14" Acer Chromebook which has Google Play. So I can use it as a tablet just like any other Android tab. Mine doesn't work with a pen however. It's just a regular touchscreen. I really have no need for a pen so I'm fine without it.