Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help About Buying a New Computer

DH and I have always used Apple products.  I am not good with anything electronic - in fact, I am terrible!  However, I think Apple products are very dependable and if you need assistance, they are great.  I know they are more expensive, but they are very reliable and from our experience, they really hold up!  We have an old desktop that has been going strong for years.  We also have an Ipad and we use Iphones.  We are thinking about getting a new either desktop or laptop.  But I'm leaning toward a new desktop.  Look on line and just check them out.  Good luck and happy hunting! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought a HP All-In-One desktop. It's a basic computer with everything I need. No tower, only one wire to plug in the power and it was the easiest thing I ever set up. I can even move it if I wanted because there's no tower. It also has an actual DVD player built in it, too. The camera can be hidden.  It came with a wired keyboard and  mouse but I have since replaced those with wireless. I got it from Walmart, item number is  730657746  ...if you want to take a look, it's top-rated!

Contributor

Have you thought about a Chrome book? If you do not do any video editing why not? They are less expensive easy to use and it has built in virus protection. I have several in my home and love them for working at home and doing a zoom or anything else. I have had laptops and I would never go back to a windows device again.  or there dreaded updates. Just a suggestion to  you to look into. Happy shopping. [ I would never go with any Dell device the CS I have found is horrible.]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a Dell fan.  We're on our second Dell desktop.  And I love my Dell laptop - it's 11 1/2 years old and still going strong.

Bad experience with HP laptop for my grandson - died twice in the first year.  Got a partial refund and got him a Dell.  

Respected Contributor

We are a Mac family.  I'm posting this using my iMac, we have 2 iPhones and we've just traded an iPad for a MacBook Air.  We also recommend Apple Care for the extra tech support and additional warranty coverage.

Trusted Contributor

I'm old as dirt and non tech. No kids living nearby to help me with tech stuff. I have had one generic and 2 Dell desktops over the years since 1996. Never had a problem with Dell CS. A year ago I purchased HP desktop from Best Buy for about $450. Kept my old monitor, mouse and keyboard because I'm comfortable with them. Also purchased their total tech program for $199/year which most tech savvy people will consider a waste of money. But the program gives me peace of mind. It includes Micro Trend security.  They fix issues with all my devices, PC, iPad, iPhones. They also wall mount my tv's and service appliances. Geek Squad guy came to my house to set up PC. Transferred all info and photos and backed up everything. Also taught me the basics of Windows 10 since I'd been using Windows 7. Their CS has been great.  I like the HP tower. It's smaller in size than my old Dell tower.  Having an iMac would be nice, but Apple products are sooo expensive. I mostly use my desktop for online shopping. Everything, including my old ink jet printer, is hardwired. Works fine for me. My next tech purchase will be a new iPad with much more storage space than the 6 year old one I have now. Those Apple updates really eat up the space on my iPad. I'm excited because granddaughter is sending me her old Apple Watch which no longer updates, but it works fine. I'm going to use it to keep track of the miles I walk every day. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   I bought the HP 22 All-In-One from Walmart on 1/31. Got it through curbside pickup along with my groceries. So far I'm happy with my choice, although I have not yet turned off my 7-year-old Dell Windows 8.1 laptop permanently. The Dell was at the point where every week some new quirk would develop.

I'm just having a little trouble readjusting to a mouse instead of a touchpad. I saw no reason to buy a touchscreen desktop.

Good luck with yours!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also bought an HP ALL-in-One...Love it!  Bought it from Best Buy when it was on sale in Dec 2019...A tech guy here in my community transfered everything over from my Windows 8 to Windows 10..

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@SilleeMee   I bought the HP 22 All-In-One from Walmart on 1/31. Got it through curbside pickup along with my groceries. So far I'm happy with my choice, although I have not yet turned off my 7-year-old Dell Windows 8.1 laptop permanently. The Dell was at the point where every week some new quirk would develop.

I'm just having a little trouble readjusting to a mouse instead of a touchpad. I saw no reason to buy a touchscreen desktop.

Good luck with yours!

@PickyPicky3 

I'm happy for you. I've had my HP AIO, the one I mentioned earlier, since August last year and I can't say anything bad about it. I don't need a touchscreen either, especially for a desktop. I got the white one and I love it. It looks so sleek on my desk.Woman Happy

I hope you will enjoy your new HP!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   I have finished doing all the updates but have not yet downloaded the newest version of Windows 10 Home which is available.  Did you install that? Any issues?