Respected Contributor

Need Help About Buying a New Computer

I have a Dell desk top.  It is about 7 years old and seems to be getting a little quirky lately.  I am not technically smart at all, just know how to use my computer for the basic things.  Question, should I go to a store like PC Richards (which is near my house) and buy a new one or order one from Dell like I have in the past?  Can all my info from this computer be transferred onto another Brand and if so, what do you all recommend.  I don't know what is the best one, Dell, Apple, etc.  I always have a guy from Geek Squad come into my house to set up my computer.  Your help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to wait until my computer actually dies, I want to have one ready to go if need be.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help About Buying a New Computer

@lovesallanimals  "I am not technically smart at all, just know how to use my computer for the basic things."

You should check out the "computer for seniors."  If you are a member of AARP, you get a steep discount.

https://www.mywowcomputer DOT com/

Just a thought if you want to stay in your comfort zone.....

FWIW......

I live in a 55+ community.  We have a "computer room."  All the computers are the "computer for senors."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I bought a new computer 18 months ago.  I was hoping I could have the old one fixed so I looked around my area for an independent person who fixes computers.  Found one that works for a company and does work on the side.  I took my computer to him and he told me it wasn't worth the money to fix it.  So he built me a new computer using components from different companies that he said would make it better than having just a Dell or HP.  He built the whole thing for less money than a name brand and it has more powerful options and he gave me free programs.  He also transferred everything from the old computer to the new. The cost was under $600.

Respected Contributor

These are good questions. If you are still able to, back up stuff on a flash drive while you can...pictures documents etc. So that you can put them on your new computer. 

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

These are good questions. If you are still able to, back up stuff on a flash drive while you can...pictures documents etc. So that you can put them on your new computer. 

LizzieSRQ that's a great idea.  When I eventually get a new computer, I will ask the tech guy to back everything up for me.

I am still anxious to know what the best brand of a desk top is.  Dell, Apple, Mac, etc.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for all your helpful suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

LizzieSRQ that's a great idea.  When I eventually get a new computer, I will ask the tech guy to back everything up for me.

I am still anxious to know what the best brand of a desk top is.  Dell, Apple, Mac, etc.

best is what you can afford

I love my MAC but not everyone wants to spend that much.

decide what you want to use it for,  and budget

then go to the store 

spend some time on the internet and research what your money will buy ,no point in buying a gaming pc when you don't game, and no point in buy too low ram etc 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear  I agree a person has to buy what is comfortable for them.

@lovesallanimals

I am tech savvy like many people in this thread. I use a large tablet a my main online device

I use my tablet for reading emails, newspapers, shopping online and watching movies.

The difference some activities you use an app instead of a program. 

An IPad 8th generation with 128GB of storage is the perfect device for most users

You would buy Apple Care with a tablet.

I buy Dell XPS computers. You can find them at the company site. You should contact the sales staff and ask for help building a system. 

You will have to get assistance adding a CD/DVD drive, and buying a monitor. 

Respected Contributor

LOVE MY MAC!

It's easy, and intuitive.

....and I'm a computer dumb dumb!

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I have a Dell desk top.  It is about 7 years old and seems to be getting a little quirky lately.  I am not technically smart at all, just know how to use my computer for the basic things.  Question, should I go to a store like PC Richards (which is near my house) and buy a new one or order one from Dell like I have in the past?  Can all my info from this computer be transferred onto another Brand and if so, what do you all recommend.  I don't know what is the best one, Dell, Apple, etc.  I always have a guy from Geek Squad come into my house to set up my computer.  Your help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to wait until my computer actually dies, I want to have one ready to go if need be.  Thank you.

I have a neighbor who is about as tech savvy and you.  She recently bought a new computer from a local retailer and they not only set up her new computer but, they transfered all of her data for a small fee.  They also did some basic training since Windows 10 was brand new to her.  I would check out your local business and see how their prices compare to buying from Dell.  While it may be slightly higher, if personal service is included, it may be worth it.