Contributor

Need Advice for Security Camera

DH and I are going away on vacation and believe someone can gain access to our house when we are not here.  Does anyone have a recommendation on an easy to use indoor security camera that has a motion detection and I can view on my IPhone???

Respected Contributor

Re: Need Advice for Security Camera

@Gemmy  Try Canary - just need wi-fi service and you can subscribe (or not) to get extended periods of viewing.

No additional wiring involved, just plug in and locate where you want. 

I love mine, I can check on my dogs when I'm away.  Runs around $150 at Best Buy, BB&B, and lots of other places.  

Doesn't look like a normal camera.  About the size of a travel mug.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Well you'll hear about many different one's.  Everyone has his or her favorite.

I own several different cameras (inside and out).  The one's I had my son-in-law install are Nest.  He installed them in his parent's home (they travel the world at least 9 months of the year, so never home) is the same kind.

The reason I like them is they only come on when I'm not home.  He works for security and knows every single thing there is to know electronics.  

I wanted something that would notify me (with pictures) when someone came in and out of my house.  They're connected to my iphone and it notifies me.  So in other words once I'm down my driveway they come on.

I have two cats and if I want to I can talk to them, etc and see them, but I've had them for months so I ignore them walking past them.

I also though have ADT and my house (windows, doors, attic, you name it) is wired up the wazoo.  I know if anything is opened (it tells me if when I'm home, even if the alarm isn't set.  It tells me what door, window, etc.  

I like having it but I never set the ADT alarm when home because I'd set it off going outside.  I live in a very, very safe place, so not worried.

Read up on it.  Don't discount any, there are so many.  Decide what works best for you and your family.  Because my son-in-laws in security, our family wigs out on privacy (you'd be surprised...).  Just be careful because everything that COMES into your house also GOES outside your house...remember that.  No matter what people will tell you.

Make sure YOU control all of it, a word to the wise.

Honored Contributor

Check the Kim Commando website for home security recommendations.  That woman knows her stuff!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to let you know that QVC has the Canary Security Camera, someone had mentioned getting one at Best Buy. The Q has several to choose from.

Honored Contributor

Whatever camera you get, make sure you choose a strong password/username for it. There are hackers who prowl the Internet looking for insecure camera feeds that they'll then post online. A whole lot of people never change the default ones, and that's just giving the world a live feed to anything in sight of the camera. There are online lists of factory default settings for cameras and many/most use usernames are like "admin" and passwords like "1234". There are websites with links to thousands (possibly millions) of insecure cameras and unless you want to be added to the list, change the username and password.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman, good advice. LM