Respected Contributor

NEW MAC PRODUCTS INTRODUCED TODAY

Not at all impressed with the new iMAC.  Lower "chin" still on the display and the Apple Logo was left off.  iMAC now available in colors (big deal!).  Magic Mouse still has to be charged from the bottom so you can charge it and use it at the same time.  Not sure there's reason to trade since my current iMAC is still working OK.

Respected Contributor

Re: NEW MAC PRODUCTS INTRODUCED TODAY

The new M1 system is the BIG CHANGE.  Huge battery improvement and processing speed.

To create the M1, Apple used at least $1 billion to buy more than half a dozen companies in addition to spending more than a decade on research and development to bring this chip in-house to produce. Now, Apple says, its chips are more powerful and energy-efficient than the Intel chips it relied on before. That translates into smaller and slimmer designs, longer battery life and new technologies.

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Not at all impressed with the new iMAC.  Lower "chin" still on the display and the Apple Logo was left off.  iMAC now available in colors (big deal!). 

Actually, the original iMacs were available in colors. * See below.  

Mine is "strawberry."  I use it as an iTunes juke box.  My current iMac is the 2017 version.

Magic Mouse still has to be charged from the bottom so you can charge it and use it at the same time. Really?  Must be something wrong w/mine cause I could never use it while being charged.  I have to switch to my wired mouse if I want to use my comp w/o using Speakable Items.

I hate that bottom charging port.

Not sure there's reason to trade since my current iMAC is still working OK.

Mine is too.  I have the 2017 version.  Will consider when it will no longer be OS upgradable.  I am interested that M1 chip.  Knowing Apple, sooner than later, future OS'es will only be available for M1 chipped Macs.icon_exclaim.gif  I am typing this post on my 2012 MBP using Snow Leopard.  Still going strong! Smiley LOL

proxy-image.jpg

@Cats3000 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I thought this was makeup Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

like QVC offer products in a million colors

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I love the Apple presentations for their salesmanship. If I had a dollar for every time they used some form of the word power yesterday, I'd be able to buy Apple products. Everything is the "most, best, greatest, largest, fastest," etc. They're very clever at pushing their products. What computer maker puts out the worst, least powerful, smallest, slowest computer for each new generation? None. They're all better each generation, but Apple really pushes it to the limit.

The chin on the new iMac is kind of odd. They hide the electronics there, but why? Their iPads have the same electronics and don't have a chin and are equally thin. 

The way they tried to sell that having everything embedded into the new iMac motherboard was an asset was kind of funny. It's only an asset if you never have one of those components fail or never need to upgrade one. Need more memory? Sorry, but this motherboard has the memory soldered in place. You can't simply replace the modules with larger ones. Your hard drive failed? Too bad. This one's soldered in and can't be replaced. It's not like their old iMacs were all that easy to upgrade, but they've gone from not easy to upgrade to impossible to upgrade.

Rather than spend the money on an iMac I'd be more inclined to buy a Mac Mini and a standalone monitor. Monitors tend to outlive the computer hardware so that might be a smarter move overall. The Mac Mini is essentially the same hardware as the iMac but at half the price.

I was briefly impressed with the ability to use your phone to color calibrate your TV. I was wondering how the heck they pulled that off until I realized they were simply tweaking the settings in the Apple TV box and not truly adjusting the TV. Wait until some people move their Apple TV to a new TV and find things look horrible as the Apple TV carries the settings for the old TV to the new one. You're better off keeping the box settings neutral and adjusting the TV.  

All in all, it was about what you'd expect from an Apple presentation. Salesmanship is their strong suit. Their fans will drool over the new products and stand in line to buy them.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Unless you buy a tower, upgrading your computer is almost impossible.  That is true for both Apple and Micrsoft based computers.  Why, the cases are not easily opened and sometime will actually get damaged in the process.  So, updating or upgrading an all-in-one computer or notebook/laptop computers is not something for the average owner to try.  This is why you should buy the most computer you can afford so it will last as the demands for power and speed increases.