Esteemed Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW ROUTER - SUGGESTIONS??

@tends2dogs

I brought my last router in 2018. It was an Netgear R7800,and It is still $200. This product was easy to install and I used an app to

finish the job. 

You may want to consider Asus AC2900.

You can find install instructions on the Amazon product page near these items.

I only buy electronics directly from Amazon. 

Esteemed Contributor

That is what we have to keep doing, @BklynKinsey . ...turn the router off and on.  Ours is an old Linksys.  It is real pain.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

After several years of poor internet service (slow, dropped signal) I purchased a new Motorola modem and hooked it up to my 3 year old D-Link router. I had tried 2 other routers and they were unsatisfactory. I have Comcast internet (only thing available to me) and was using a recommended modem...after having to restart the modem and router on a weekly basis, I finally changed the modem and have not had to reset since November...when I lost power last month, everything reset automatically.  

The modem is Motorola MB7621 (can be used with your service, I think) ...from Amazon for $78. I am very pleased with it. It is simple to operate...plug in, wait for green light, turn on router, wait for green light and surf away for months of uninterrupted service.

Please report back with update on whatever you choose. Your choices may be helpful to many others! Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs 

I recommend one of these from Walmart. You don't have to spend a lot.

I'm 66 and don't think they're hard to connect and set up. My younger sister would disagree though. I had to connect and set up her new Linksys recently. Woman LOL

routers.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Buster43

I have been a member of Dslreports.com for 20 years.

The site has a Comcast forum. This is where I look for a cable modem. I usually replace a modem about every two YEARS, because, of a speed increase. 

I look for a router at this forum and at smart net builders. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caffeina

These two routers are good products. I did not check out the specs. My largest concern, will they support all of the OP devices. 

Honored Contributor

We're waiting to get new internet service from Spectrum and I googled which routers worked best with their modem (provided free).

I just ordered a Linksys tri-band (Max Stream AC2150) from Sam's Club.  From what I've read, the installation is done via an app.  No idea yet when we'll get Spectrum (their construction department has to extend their line to our home first).

I'm hoping setting up the router will be relatively easy.

Esteemed Contributor

I was just looking at the install sheet from Charter for our modem.  The section about the router said that a 5G device provides a better experience for streaming and video gaming.  We do neither of those things. The 2G network is recommended for devices that require a longer range.

We have a two story over 4,000 square feet home.  I am thinking that 2G is what I want, right?  

The only devices we are using this for are our two laptops.  I am not sure, but are our landline phones also wirefree?  The base is plugged in to a phone line and the modem.  (this is how stupid I am about this)  Those are the only devices that we need WiFi for.  Our security is by satellite.

@Nuttmeg @Caffeina @Buster43 @Mindy D @Venezia 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I was just looking at the install sheet from Charter for our modem.  The section about the router said that a 5G device provides a better experience for streaming and video gaming.  We do neither of those things. The 2G network is recommended for devices that require a longer range.

We have a two story over 4,000 square feet home.  I am thinking that 2G is what I want, right?  

The only devices we are using this for are our two laptops.  I am not sure, but are our landline phones also wirefree?  The base is plugged in to a phone line and the modem.  (this is how stupid I am about this)  Those are the only devices that we need WiFi for.  Our security is by satellite.

@tends2dogs

You have a large home, and this is not a DIY project. Please call your cable provider and have a technician install your equipment.

I would rent the equipment. Ask about the cost of install.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I were having a new install, i would use company hardware. What happens if you have a problem? The company will say it is your router, not the Spectrum cable modem. 

You can use your equipment when things are running well.

You can have the tech install your router when he comes to your home. 

I check router quality at Smartnet Builders.