Esteemed Contributor

NEED A NEW ROUTER - SUGGESTIONS??

We just hooked up an updated Modem from the cable company.  We are still having problems with not being able to open up sites, going back and forth to sites......It keeps saying to reload, this site can't be reached.  After speaking with the tech rep at Charter, she said that we need a new router.  I have to admit that ours is VERY old.  

What should we look for in purchasing one or should we just rent it from the cable company?  We do not game or stream movies.  We are just old people checking email, ordering stuff, and looking up stuff LOL.

Can anyone help us out?  Oh, is it hard to hook up?

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NEED A NEW ROUTER - SUGGESTIONS??

I haven't needed one in a while but I would never "rent" one, it's not that expensive.   Try to buy where you can return, in case it doesn't solve your problem.

The return policy for electronics is often not as generous as the store return policy.

@tends2dogs wrote:

We just hooked up an updated Modem from the cable company.  We are still having problems with not being able to open up sites, going back and forth to sites......It keeps saying to reload, this site can't be reached.  After speaking with the tech rep at Charter, she said that we need a new router.  I have to admit that ours is VERY old.  

What should we look for in purchasing one or should we just rent it from the cable company?  We do not game or stream movies.  We are just old people checking email, ordering stuff, and looking up stuff LOL.

TIA

Esteemed Contributor

These things do die or become outdated.

For me, renting one never made sense.  Like throwing away money.

Somewhere on the cable site there should be a section for compatible ones.

You two can hook it up.  I could.

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

TIA

routers have a lifetime, we have been thru several

I would start by searching for "how to choose a router"  

Contributor

We updated our router last year. Went with google WiFi. Very simple set-up and if you already have a gmail account it's extra easy. You need need to decide how many points you need. We bought a 3 pack, because we have a 3 story 3,000 sq ft house. Speed is excellent all through the house now.

Honored Contributor

@Mnmomof3boys wrote:

We updated our router last year. Went with google WiFi. Very simple set-up and if you already have a gmail account it's extra easy. You need need to decide how many points you need. We bought a 3 pack, because we have a 3 story 3,000 sq ft house. Speed is excellent all through the house now.

that might be more than the OP needs though, 

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs 

last year we finally had to replace our Verizon router.  Rather than buy the latest version, we went with the one prior.  It was a lot less money and works very well.  

DH set it up in no time !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

@software

LOL, If you want phone service today, you have to rent equipment. Cable companies will not allow you to buy a Voip device. 

Super Contributor

Last year I purchased the Netgear R6700 — Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router.  It was supposed to be an easy setup, but I had a lot of problems getting it set up.  I did call Netgear for support and they were wonderful and walked me thru the setup.  Afterward, I knew I could never have done the setup by myself, so, luckily, they did have good support.  

Just a year later, I am having trouble with the router -- keeps dropping me from the Internet.  I have to keep resetting the router and modem to get/keep a connection.

Honored Contributor

Hands down, Netgear. I have one that's two years old. The range is outstanding. I had to disconnect it because my new internet, from ATT, Internet25 comes with a router and modem combination.