Respected Contributor
Lol, it's true they're generally all the same now. I'm old enough to remember when they had tubes, and everyone could spot the Sonys (Trinitron) in the showroom with the bright, clear pictures. I also remember when you could simply plug in a TV, no "setup" required.

What worries you masters you.
Occasional Contributor

I've bought two Samsung TVs from Amazon and found them to have good prices. They arrived fine and 60" was set up for me too. Found the TV below for $498 which I believe is the same as the sold out HSN one. I tried to do a link but it wouldn't work.

<h1 id="title" class="a-size-large a-spacing-none" style="box-sizing: border-box; padding: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; font-weight: normal; color: #333333; margin-bottom: 0px !important; font-size: 21px !important; line-height: 1.3 !important;"> LG Electronics 42LB5800 42-Inch 1080p 60Hz Smart LED TV</h1>

• Refresh Rate: 60Hz (Native); Motion Clarity Index: 120 (Effective)
  • Backlight: LED (Direct LED)
  • This is a Smart TV
  • Dimensions (W x H x D): TV without stand: 37.8'' x 22.3" x 2.2'', TV with stand: 37.8'' x 24'' x 8.6''
  • Inputs: 3 HDMI 1.4, 3 USB 2.0, 1 RF, 1 Component, 1 Composite, 1 Digital Audio Out (optical), 1 PC Audio, 1 LAN. Accessories Included: TV Remote
  • Refresh Rate: 60Hz (Native); Motion Clarity Index: 120 (Effective)
  • Backlight: LED (Direct LED)
Respected Contributor

Amazon has a 105" Samsung curved HD smart tv selling for $119,999.99. Yowza! If I had that much $$, I'd retire & forget about television.

Seriously, though, the prices get better & better. I really regret buying a 42" flat screen 8 years ago that cost me about $1200, & weighs 75 lbs. I had a perfectly good 27" tv that was only a couple of years old at the time. No accounting for stupid. These days, I could get a tv with a bigger screen & more features that's also lightweight for well under $1000. Walmart usually has really good buys on tvs on Black Friday, if you can wait another few weeks.

Occasional Contributor

I have a Sony in my living room and the Insignia brand from Best Buy in my bedroom. The quality of the Insignia is as good as the Sony and the price was so much lower. If I need ever need another tv, Insignia will be a top contender.

Honored Contributor

I'd also keep in mind, especially now that picture isn't a main decider as it was many years ago, that some brands are just plain built better and will last longer. You might really not realize it until your generic brand tv dies a year or two down the road, whereas a more integrous brand will last much much longer. Smiley Happy Just a thought.

Trusted Contributor

I have a 32" Insignia from Best Buy. Love it! The price was amazing. I actually went to Best Buy and sat on the floor and stood by TV's at different levels to check out screen distortion. My insignia had none, but some top brands did, like Samsung and Toshiba. I Sony's are real good, but pricey.

Don't be afraid of brands that certain stores only carry. I would buy another Insignia in a heartbeat.

Don't be afraid of the new HD TV's. I too am electronically challenged. I still have an old Panasonic TV that I'm sure will be on its way out soon. But, it still runs and the picture is still good, but no HD, of course.

HD TV is so nice. If you're a sports fan, watching games on it is amazing.

Esteemed Contributor

Today I ordered a 40"" Samsung from Costco.com; there's a $50 discount - and I had a Costco promo code for another $10 --- so it came to approx. $430 (with the 5 yr warranty included). There's a Costco 2-yr warranty and their 3-yr extended warranty (Fair trade) is only $29.99.

Respected Contributor

Samsung is great--that was a decent price. I do have some suggestions for people shopping for TVs.

Make sure it has ARC-HDMI if there is a unit with that, in your price range. This makes connecting external audio devices (like soundbars) a lot easier. Not essential, but nice to have.

A built in DVD is nice to have as well.

If you use Roku a lot, there is now a Roku TV with it built in.

I'm eying a Proscan for my kitchen,. I have a Samsung in the living room and I like it a lot.

Esteemed Contributor
On 11/3/2014 Campion said:

Samsung is great--that was a decent price. I do have some suggestions for people shopping for TVs.

Make sure it has ARC-HDMI if there is a unit with that, in your price range. This makes connecting external audio devices (like soundbars) a lot easier. Not essential, but nice to have.

A built in DVD is nice to have as well.

If you use Roku a lot, there is now a Roku TV with it built in.

I'm eying a Proscan for my kitchen,. I have a Samsung in the living room and I like it a lot.

I ordered an Amazon Fire TV stick last week. Roku and Google (Chromecast) make similar products.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/27/2014 hckynut said:

"I've had my Sanyo 26" t.v. for 30 years - and this weekend the audio went out. My neighbor checked it and said, "it's gone". I now need to buy a new, flat screen tv and thought I would check out Costco. I'm electronically-challenged, so I just want it for the tv - maybe a 45". Any suggestions for brand, etc. Somewhere around $500/$600."

kivah,

Check this link. Don't think you will find a better price for this much TV.

Good Buy for a TV

It has sold out.