Respected Contributor

Re: More problems with my iMac

Update:

There is nothing wrong with the iMac.  All of the diagnostic tests showed no hardware problems.  It was a corrupted operating system caused by installing High Sierra.  It's home and I will get it up and running starting tomorrow.  I'll be glad to get everything installed so I can format and restore my Macbook Pro. 

Respected Contributor

Why would installing High Sierra cause problems?

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, just as an FYI, I had an appointment at the Genius Bar yesterday about my jumping cursor.  I will update on my other post about that issue but wanted to mention here that they keep telling me not to install High Sierra.  Although I am pretty sure it is because there are issues with it, they didn't come right out and say that.  Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Montana wrote:

My computer is almost 5 years old.  High Sierra is more than the computer can handle.  The tech said the age of my computers is why I'm having problems.  Plus I wanted to go back to Sierra because several games I love to play and a portable scanner I use weren't compatible. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's interesting.  Our mid-2011 iMac is running fine on High Sierra.  Better than ever.

I have read about problems with it - fortunately doesn't seem to affect me.

Good luck; I hope you get things fixed.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

My understanding from her previous posts is that it was putting a much larger demand on her CPU than the older operating system. Her fan was running more and longer and her older CPU just wasn't able to keep up.

Operating system writers tend to stress out computer hardware. The CPU on my current computer (an AMD FX 6800) has six cores each operating at 3.5 ghz and capable of boosting up to 4.1 ghz. My first real PC had a 100 mhz single core processor. So, each core on my newer CPU (which by the way is far from a brand new CPU) runs 35 times faster than that first CPU did. (Faster than that really due to other reasons but for the sake of this discussion we'll say 35 times faster.)

That old computer had a 1.2 gb hard drive and held two operating systems (Windows 3.11 and Windows 95) along with about seven years of my writing and assorted other data. Windows 10 (and most newer operating systems) need around 15-20 gb's just to install and run. Windows 95 reportedly used between 50 and 100 megs to install. So while CPU speeds have increased 35 fold (or more) the operating systems have grown in size from maybe 100 megs to 20 gigs, or roughly two hundred times. That's why using a computer is about the same as it was twenty plus years ago. Those creating the operating systems eat up every bit of speed the hardware makers gain.

Put a Windows 95 size operating system inside modern hardware and you'll have a lightning fast computer.  (Which is largely what Google does with their Chrome OS and their Chromebooks, Chromeboxes, and Chromebits.) Look at the hardware they use for their computer and youll laugh at how old and slow it us. Use one of the Chrome devices and you'll marvel at how fast and responsive it is. Why is it so fast and responsive with such "slow" hardware? It's got a very simple OS. Funny how that works.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@ Montana, not related to this post but I understand there definitely are some bugs to be worked out with High Sierra.  I have an issue unrelated and Apple will not let me install High Sierra until January when, hopefully, they will be addressed. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro.  This as an FYI.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@ Montana, not related to this post but I understand there definitely are some bugs to be worked out with High Sierra.  I have an issue unrelated and Apple will not let me install High Sierra until January when, hopefully, they will be addressed. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro.  This as an FYI.  LM

So far, so good. Of course Apple wants to install the latest operating system.  I've stopped it for now but, I'm afraid it will install and I DON'T WANT IT. I downloaded the Clue game and it works.  I hope the other games and apps I own that don't work with High Sierra will be usable again.  I decided to manually install of my my apps and files.  I had way too many things on the computer, I have everything saved and if I need something, I know where to find it.  

I installed an older verion of Firefox and it automatically updated the the newest version. So, I'm going to uninstall then reinstall the old one with it set to not automatically update.  The newer version is making my computers run hot. 

It's going to take a while to get everything back on the iMac because I want to be selective.  I have a lot of data and downloads I really don't need.  Once it's done, I'm going to restore my Macbook Pro from a backup.  

I've done restores many times when I owned a Windows based computer.  I've also done a lot for other people.  This is the first one on an Apple computer and it realy isn't much different.  At leaset with Apple, I didn't have to install drivers and a gazillion Windows updates. I really wish Apple had system restore.  It would be a lot easier.    

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, good luck!  I didn't realize Apple doesn't do system restore.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@glb613, good luck!  I didn't realize Apple doesn't do system restore.  LM

I'm talking about having a system restore like Windows does or did.  Where you go back in time, sometimes a day or two, when something goes wrong. Apple has a restore but it's more like a format and reinstalled.