Honored Contributor

Re: Microsoft Word crashes, mostly just Venting

@iwrite wrote:

it would be helpful if you stated which version of word you are using (ie 2016, 2019), especially if you are using office/word 365.

would also be helpful to know what you mean by 'crash'.

is word crashing or is your computer crashing? when word freezes, can you open other software?

a 207 page document, is not enough of a reason for the document to crash.

try this, open the doc and do file - save as and give it a new name.
doing this will reset the number of revisions to 1.

it is possible that there is a limit on the number of revisions/saves that one word doc can support.

make a change in the doc with the new name and save it.

if the doc has macro's, one could be failing behind the scene

@iwrite 

I am using Word 2008 for Mac 12.3.6.

As I stated in my response above your post:  Whenever I type something in the document Word immediately shuts down and gives me a little message that it has unexpectedly shut down.  And often when it does that, when I reopen that document, it becomes read-only and I have to save it to another name to make it editable.

I have tried renaming the document and copy and pasting the contents into another document.  No Joy.  Even the document I transferred into Libre Office that I changed back into a Word document does it, so whatever glitch it has follows the document even when put in a different document format.  

No macros.  It's simply text in outline format.  The entire document looks basically like this:

Example.jpg

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

hmmmm @Icegoddess 

i don't use a mac . . . but the document you posted should not cause that to happen.

have you tried just opening the doc in question, don't type anything and IMMEDIATELY do a file - save as, as i suggested before.

you said you 'renamed' the document. i don't know if you mean that is the same as what i suggested or not. to me, renaming a document is right-clicking on the file and selecting 'rename'. that is not what i am saying to do.

back in the day, i had what you describe happen. once i saved the file with a new name, things were fine. your word document could be corrupt or has been saved too many times. at some point, word will go bonkers if the file has been saved too many times.

'sometimes', the changes that you made are saved in the read only file. i think you have to have an option checked, for that to happen.

Honored Contributor

@iwrite , when I say I renamed the document I used the Save As option.  

I do save a lot since I don't want to have to try and find where my last saved edits are.  I'm not working down through the document, so it could be difficult to find, although I have had to do it in the past and it was a total pain re-doing all that work, hence the reason I save a lot.

I do think there is some corruption in there since the problem continues when I open it in a different word processing program and then save it back as a Word document.  I finally figured out how to copy it to Pages (which is Mac's version of Word) and I can copy/paste between them, so for now I'll just do that.  I couldn't copy/paste between Word and LibreOffice.  Problem is, if I ever need to give a copy to someone I'll have to save it back to Word and then tell them they probably won't be able to edit it.  

If I could figure out where the corruption is I could copy and paste the other sections of it to a new document and then just re-type the section where the corruption is.  

Valued Contributor

@Icegoddess 

i don't think that you can figure out where the corruption is because it's an accumulation of things. contrary to what many believe, word has it's limitations. i remember a time where if you had too many pictures of screen shots, the word doc would become corrupt and replace some pictures with strange letters.

to get around that, i'd write the entire document and then add all of the screen shots. annoying yes, so for a while i switched to frame maker. when that problem was fixed in word, i switched back to it.

heavily formatted word docs continue to be a problem. from what i saw of your doc, it doesn't fall into that category.

you may want to look into using book authoring software like scrivener, by literatureandlatte  dot com