Trusted Contributor

New computer[two weeks old,Asus],message apeared from microsoft that I have a important upgrade to install and don't turn computer off,ok then my screen went black,I couldn't restart it or anything. No help from geek squad,they said to take it to Best Buy for more help.

Did,they said microsoft is having a huge problem but won't admit it,but they sent out a patch to take care of the problem,everything was erased from my computer,but my old computer has all my stuff,had to leave my new computer and old one,they are going to install the patch and put all my stuff back on.

Question does this sound like a problem others have ?Best Buy said five computers came in with the same problem today,I paid alot of money for this computer, should i accept the patch job? will it happen again?or should i demand a new computer.thank you.Tucka.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Microsoft Optional Updates

[ Edited ]

@tuckawrote:

New computer[two weeks old,Asus],message apeared from microsoft that I have a important upgrade to install and don't turn computer off,ok then my screen went black,I couldn't restart it or anything. No help from geek squad,they said to take it to Best Buy for more help.

Did,they said microsoft is having a huge problem but won't admit it,but they sent out a patch to take care of the problem,everything was erased from my computer,but my old computer has all my stuff,had to leave my new computer and old one,they are going to install the patch and put all my stuff back on.

Question does this sound like a problem others have ?Best Buy said five computers came in with the same problem today,I paid alot of money for this computer, should i accept the patch job? will it happen again?or should i demand a new computer.thank you.Tucka.

@tuckahow heartbreaking. Woman Sad   Don't know if this is the identical problem but every so often I get a pop up when using the Microsoft Edge browser that covers the whole screen and looks like it's legit and from Microsoft stating that it is a patch and I should download it immediately.  I almost did but thank goodness I first checked my windows update (through settings) to see if there were any downloads available and it said I was current with all of my updates.  That told me that pop up was bogus and a virus.  I checked it out online by googling the description and it confirmed.  I already had my popup blocker on yet it popped up unexpectedly anyway and it just seems to do it randomly.  I do not get this pop up when using chrome.  I don't know about firefox because I don't use that.  

There has to be a repair shop that can help you although it may be costly.  Did you contact Asus?  Hope someone can help you.  

Contributor

Yes, this is a widespread Microsoft update problem caused by a recent update.  Microsoft is now admitting that some, not all, computers were bricked after an update removed an important start up driver and failed to reinstall the driver upon update completion. You can find this information now just by doing a search.

My friend just got her bricked computer back from Best Buy's geek squad yesterday.  What happened to you is what happened to her computer.  The rep at Best Buy didn't volunteer the information on Microsoft's culpability for this problem, but he did confirm once I told him what I knew about this problem.  

Hope things work out for you, tucka.

Contributor

I forgot to add that as of yesterday afternoon when we went to pick up the computer at Best Buy, I asked the guy how many bricked computers he personally has worked on since this problem update, and he said that so far he has restored 24 computers affected by this botched patch.

Esteemed Contributor

@tucka,isn’t it maddening when that happens?  I gave up on windows and went with Apple but that is not entirely problem free either.  I still have’t downloaded High Sierra, the latest OS yet.   This was their advice while we worked through another issue.  I have to do it soon though so fingers crossed.

Hope everything gets restored for you.  LM

Honored Contributor

@tuckawrote:

I have an Asus approx 2 yr old which I haven’t used for a couple months so it’s possible I may have a problem too. Glad I saw this in the event it happens to me. I’m using an iPad which I love. Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

About two weeks ago I got the dreaded black screen on my desktop after a recent MS update. I could not keep it from returning to that black screen after several attempts of powering down and it kept running diagnostics and repair modes. I finally got it to the screen where it gave me the option to reinstall WIN10 but I lost some files and a few apps, nbd. After I reinstalled WIN10 everything seems fine now and it reboots normally. TG I did not have to take it to a repair place. Trial, error and persistence on my part got me up and running again.Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

There is one that has filled my whole screen a couple of times over the past 2 weeks that wants me to download it. I just keep getting rid of because I can't find any info on it googling. I had written down what it says in order to do the googling. It says it from Microsoft - patch.ha The next line is the size 1.76KB then the third line say from....and this is what is baffling me....it starts with a series of letter & numbers then ends with.cloudfront.net

In the smaller box I just keep clicking on cancel but have to X out to get rid of it.

Didn't type in the series of letter and numbers that comes before the .cloudfront.net because I didn't know if was a good idea to do so on here.

I'm still not too swift on this computer stuff.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for responding,it is frustrating,actually Best Buy is going to patch it and not charge me,seeing it is two weeks old,hopefully they will get all my pictures off my old computer,but I am timid that this will happen again.and as I said I paid alot for this computer,more than i should,also we live thirty minutes away from the Best Buy and that is another problem,will it happen again?I depend on my daughter to help me and she is a busy teacher so time is a precious thing.Any more sugestions others have will be appreciated,thanks again,Tucka.