Respected Contributor

Microsoft Optional Updates

[ Edited ]

I install Microsoft updates for Win 7 once a month. I only select Important or Recommended updates.

While installing this morning, I noticed that the last updates were installed only 3 days ago, which I did not do. I am not on Automatic updating. Checking the update history, I see that Optional Updates have been installed as far back as 2016! I never install Optional updates. I noticed that my pc has not been running well (noticeably slower) this past week.

I'm annoyed that all these Optional updates were installed without my knowledge or consent. A preliminary google search didn't answer why this might be happening (if anyone here knows).

Do you think I can uninstall all the Optional updates without adverse effects? Would uninstalling them perhaps make my pc run better? Virus and malware scans are negative. TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Microsoft Optional Updates

I would leave it as is and not worry about it. If my computer was getting low on memory, then that would be one good reason to delete the optional updates but those kinds of updates are usually not large and don't take up space. As far as slowing your system down, I couldn't say because I don't know what they are.

Respected Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

I install Microsoft updates for Win 7 once a month. I only select Important or Recommended updates.

While installing this morning, I noticed that the last updates were installed only 3 days ago, which I did not do. I am not on Automatic updating. Checking the update history, I see that Optional Updates have been installed as far back as 2016! I never install Optional updates. I noticed that my pc has not been running well (noticeably slower) this past week.

I'm annoyed that all these Optional updates were installed without my knowledge or consent. A preliminary google search didn't answer why this might be happening (if anyone here knows).

Do you think I can uninstall all the Optional updates without adverse effects? Would uninstalling them perhaps make my pc run better? Virus and malware scans are negative. TIA.

Go to add/remove programs then click on updates.  There you will find all of the updates installed.  Uninstall what you don't want. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613, thanks for your reply, but I know how to uninstall updates. That wasn't my issue or question. I really wanted to know 1) Why the Optional Updates were installed without my permission, and 2) Would it be harmful in any way to my computer's function if I uninstalled numerous Optional Updates (dating back to 2016) now that they have already been installed?  I do not know if there are any consequences to doing that... or not.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This is what I think...if the updates were optional ones then deleting them from your computer should not affect the rest of your system. That's why they are called optional.

Honored Contributor

@SaRina

First, a couple of disclaimers:  I am far from a computer expert and I haven’t used a Windows machine for a couple of years now so things may have changed.  But since you apparently haven’t yet received any satisfactory answers to your questions, I’ll give you my two cents:

Back when Windows was trying to get everyone to download and install Windows 10, at one or more points they fiddled with the update settings.  They DID change the option for you to not install Optional updates.  The Optional updates were installed without you checking the box to do so.  There was a lot of flack about this at the time, and I believe they quit doing it.  I know this was true because it happened to me, and if I hadn’t checked into it, I would have ended up like you—with a bunch of Optional updates I didn’t want.

The problem with uninstalling updates far in arrears is that many updates use previous ones as a basis, so there might be some other updates that would be affected if you uninstalled.  It would seem to me it may be problematic going back to 2016.  Other than that, uninstalling updates, especially optional ones, wouldn’t cause a problem to your system.

If you say you have noticed your machine slowing down only in the last week, why not uninstall only the latest Optional updates and see if that helps your machine.  

Respected Contributor

@geezerette, like you, I figured it may not be a good idea to uninstall that far back with unknown connections and consequences, but okay to uninstall this past week's Optional updates and also moving forward when I see that Optional updates are installing.

I remember the fiasco when Microsoft 10 came out and they tried to force Win 10 updates on everyone. I took care of that at the time. But this has to do with Win 7 Optional updates that are installing without my consent. I double and triple checked my Control Panel's Security settings and it still indicates to only allow updates that I select. That has never changed.

Thanks. :-)

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@geezerette, like you, I figured it may not be a good idea to uninstall that far back with unknown connections and consequences, but okay to uninstall this past week's Optional updates and also moving forward when I see that Optional updates are installing.

I remember the fiasco when Microsoft 10 came out and they tried to force Win 10 updates on everyone. I took care of that at the time. But this has to do with Win 7 Optional updates that are installing without my consent. I double and triple checked my Control Panel's Security settings and it still indicates to only allow updates that I select. That has never changed.

Thanks. :-)

@SaRina

That was what I was referencing.  I had Windows 7 and also chose not to automatically install optional updates.  But at one point they installed without me choosing to do so.  I had to uninstall each update immediately after they installed without my consent.  Then the following month, they would install again without my consent.  It was very frustrating.  After a few months of this, Microsoft finally quit overriding that and I could install the Win7 updates of my choosing only.  I just thought this may have happened to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was having a problem with one particular Win10 update. It kept trying to load and install, but fail each time. I finally had enough of it so I found a small program to load onto my computer that takes any dl from MS and locks it away in a vault. This program keeps it there and then releases it after a few days. Usually by this time the MS update has worked itself out of problems and it loads and installs fine after that. I've had to use the vault thing a couple of times and hopefully it won't get used too often.

The program is called  wushowhide. There is one for Win7 and another for Win10.

Honored Contributor

Windows is always doing that 'stuff' to everybody. They take over your pc and put in what they want U to have whether or not you want it or are ever going to use it.

Why I got an Apple. they let you know when there's an update and leave it up to you . They don't overide you like Windows does.

I still got Windows laptops,  but, I check the 'control panel' and look for new programs that's been added when they do an update and delete any sneaky business.  Have to watch 'em like hawks.