Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I suddenly began receiving a pop-up with a large exclamation point telling me to "update now" (Or something like that). It just pops up occasionally and I ignore it. It doesn't seem to hamper the operating of my laptop otherwise.  I have cleared history, cookies, run Malwarebytes, and restarted the computer.  Anyone have any thoughts?  There is no other identifying information on the pop-up.  Comes up in the middle of a page when I open a favorite.  No random pattern.  

I'm using Safari, and am still running Sierra 10.12.6 on my old MacBook Pro where this is happening.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: MacBook Pro Pop-up Question

[ Edited ]

There is an update to Safari in High Sierra - we're on version 12.0 now.  I just updated that, and Pages, Notes, and Numbers.  I get the update notice in the upper right corner, and see the red bullet on the app store icon when they're available.

I don't know if this is about what you're seeing, but thought you might like to know.  Have you asked Mr. Google?

FWIFYI, I use a MacBook Air.  (not enough coffee yet). High Sierra 10.13.6

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I got that too.  It says Apple wants you to make changes.  I just deleted the pop up because I feel sure it is bogus.  If you want to make Apple updates, go through your Apple systems area or go to the Apple site. 

I've NEVER had Apple do anything like that popup! I wouldn't trust it. 

Honored Contributor

Check out:  How to block pop-ups in Safari

Copy/paste link--> support.apple.com/en-us/HT203987

===============

To check for updates on a Mac...

Click on the AppStore icon in your Dock

Click on "Updates."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I clicked on  a similar pop up thinking it was from Apple and it was a big mistake. It took over my  computer and I couldn't do anything as I watched it harvest my information. I called in my IT savvy teen and he had a heck of a time getting it off my computer. He was finally successful and had to go into my 'tree' to delete whatever I downloaded. He warned me to never click on any pop ups to update. It is safer to click on the apple in the left top corner, click on about this Mac, click on software update. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I got a notification thru the App Store there was an update called Safari 12 to be installed   I latered it for today.

This morning was getting a pop up to sign into my Apple account by entering my password.  I kept cancelling it.

I installed the update and the pop up ceased.  I am using a MacBook Pro with the latest version of Sierra.

Honored Contributor

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I installed the update to 12.0 and the pop-up seems to have gone away!  Could that particular pop-up been from Apple?  I assume not!  But based on suggestions, I checked for updates and there was 12.0.  I don't recall seeing the normal indication for a system update.  At any rate, my problem seems to be solved..........THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette  Whether that pop up was from Apple or not, I don't know.

I know I read about a way to go and check legit notifications that come to you, and you can adjust them, ie., turn them on or off, etc.

I thought I had changed my MacBook Pro to do automatic updates from Apple and my apps then I got the notice yesterday that an update was available.

Glad the most recent Sierra update solved your issue.

Honored Contributor

NEVER update from a popup. There is no reason to do that.  Go to the source! 

Honored Contributor

In thinking back, if that was, in fact, from Apple, I sure wish there was a way I could have know that they might alert users that way.  I've been an Apple user for several years now and have never seen it.  I even tried to Google the issue, but no luck.  Now, I'll know in the future, to be sure to check for updates...even if I haven't gotten the usual notification from Apple.  

Again, thanks to all who responded!  Without such helpful information, I'd be lying awake at night worrying about what virus I might have unleashed somehow!!!!!