Respected Contributor

MICROSOFT EDGE STORED PASSWORDS

Today, I got a message from Microsoft Edge that notified me that attackers have published the usernames and passwords for the following websites listed for me.

Was this legit.................yes, it was.

It listed the websites and my passwords and urged me to take action and change them.

None of the websites were let's say "important security ones" but were more like brahmin, estee lauder, lancome etc.  

Nevertheless, I directly every single website listed using my other computer and changed them all.  

So how did this happen?  What is Mircrosoft Edge not telling us all but when that popup box on the right hand says let Microsoft store your password, my answer will always be "NEVER".

Honored Contributor

Re: MICROSOFT EDGE STORED PASSWORDS

I would not store my bank or other important passwords there but store passwords do not both me.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling wrote:

Today, I got a message from Microsoft Edge that notified me that attackers have published the usernames and passwords for the following websites listed for me.

Was this legit.................yes, it was.

It listed the websites and my passwords and urged me to take action and change them.

None of the websites were let's say "important security ones" but were more like brahmin, estee lauder, lancome etc.  

Nevertheless, I directly every single website listed using my other computer and changed them all.  

So how did this happen?  What is Mircrosoft Edge not telling us all but when that popup box on the right hand says let Microsoft store your password, my answer will always be "NEVER".

@Just Bling 

Maybe you want to minimize your exposure online by not having so many accounts. Many of the companies you do business with don't have the best security.

They are not banks or other companies that require  two part verification  with a code to gain access to the site. 

You will find a solution that works for you. I do not store any credit card information on a site unless it has heavy security like Apple. 

Respected Contributor

I KNOW   I KNOW   I KNOW

I didn't have any credit card info stored on any of these accounts but I can't believe I was so "stupid" to think nothing like this could happen.

Honored Contributor

Edge, Firefox, and Chrome now monitor the dark web which is where stolen passwords are shopped. If they find someone offering your data they now notify you of it. It's a good thing. It lets you know if a password has been compromised so you can fix it before it becomes a much bigger issue. All three rely on you saving your passwords to their browser and when you go to autofill on a site it looks at your data and checks to see if it's been stolen. If it has, you'll get a notification and can take action. If you don't save your password or login data to Edge (or Chrome or Firefox) it can't check it, so you could be leaving yourself exposed and not know your passwords have been compromised. 

So, in short, you should let any/all of those three browsers store your passwords so they can check to see if they've been compromised anyplace. All of them are trying to help keep you safer on the Internet. 

If you want to learn more Google "Edge Password Monitor" or "Chrome Password Checkup," or "Firefox Monitor." You can find all kinds of incredibly detailed explanations of what all three browsers are doing to try and help keep you safe. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!