Respected Contributor

I have a laptop.  Don't need it.  My iPad replaces it.  I have always had a desk top to do graphic work and of late genealogy research.  I have a large monitor.  My desk top is just two months old, a Dell.  It is very compact, with big compacity.  My old desktop was heavy, hard for me to get to etc. Ugly.   The new one has a small footprint and it weighs just under ten pounds, Inspiron Small Desktop.  Love it.  Bought direct from Dell.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Do not listen to him. Only you knows whats best.

If you watch a lot of movies and video online then I suggest a 2 in 1 desktop.  A laptop is only needed really for business and traveling really.  

For years I used a laptop only and when I finally got a big screen desk top. A dell from best buy 24"   I wa ss much happier.  For on the go I use a tablet.  I have a ipad and an asus  and a fire

Honored Contributor

IMO desktops and laptops each have a purpose. I use both. I also like tablets.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Laptops vs. desktops ?

[ Edited ]

I think it's all about what you feel comfortable with. I have a desktop, a laptop, and an iPad. Early on weekend mornings, after an hour or so on the treadmill, I love to sit at the desktop with my coffee, answer emails, "talk" to friends, do some shopping, and hang out on my favorite forums for a couple of hours. I'm usually up around 5:00 to feed the cats and then hit the treadmill. So for a couple of hours, I sit back at the computer and just enjoy the peace.

The laptop is a 17-inch Toshiba and I'll flop down on the couch with it sometimes in the early evenings while watching the local news on tv.

And I take my iPad to bed to read library books or surf the web for an hour or so before dropping off to sleep. I don't watch television much anymore, so reading on my iPad is perfect for me. I also have a Kindle Paperwhite and will read Kindle books on that. (I used to love to read books in bed, but as I get older, I have more trouble reading regular books at night and have pretty much switched over to e-books now.) 

So they all have their uses and I'm fine with the way I work with them.

Think about what you enjoy doing and where you enjoy doing it, and take it from there. 

Esteemed Contributor

There are no rules use what you prefer.