Respected Contributor

Laptop I have that is 6 years old keeps shutting down at random times. Sometimes not at all in a day and sometimes several times in an hour.

I cant decide if I should take it to the computer store for repair or just replace since it is that old,

Second thing is, if I replace how do I destroy the hard drive??

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Laptop I have that is 6 years old keeps shutting down at random times. Sometimes not at all in a day and sometimes several times in an hour.

I cant decide if I should take it to the computer store for repair or just replace since it is that old,

ask you tube, it's easy to do so 

Respected Contributor

Re: Laptop Issue

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear    Do you mean fixing the issue or destroying the hard drive if I replace the laptop ? Thank you!

Respected Contributor

Go to Google and ask both questions, with your make and model of laptop why it keeps shutting off, and also how to destroy the hard drive on that computer.

When you go to google you will get YouTube and a lot of other stuff too, and you will be surprised at how many people have the exact same question.

Honored Contributor

Both 

Honored Contributor

Both 

in the time to start the thread here you could be reading the answers 

6 years is a good life for a laptop 

Esteemed Contributor
I would go shopping.
Honored Contributor

When I hear of a laptop randomly shutting down, overheating is the first big suspect. CPU's generate enough heat to literally melt the chip so thermal protection is built in. If the CPU overheats, the computer shuts down. Much of the time your CPU is just idling along and not generating much heat which is why the shutdowns seem random. Then the CPU will come under load, heat up, and shut down the computer. Can it be fixed? Generally speaking yes. Is it cost effective? Not if you put it into a shop. Can you fix it yourself? Probably, if you're a bit brave and willing to take the risk. If you look up your computer on YouTube you're apt to find lots of videos of people opening the case on the same model of laptop and poking around inside. Watch a few of them and see how comfortable you'd be doing it. Just getting to the CPU fan isn't typically very challenging. Then cleaning the area, checking to be sure the fan works, and putting everything back together may very well fix the issue.

As to destroying the hard, there are lots of options, but I tend to just take mine out and plop them down in a closet and don't bother destroying them or erasing them. If I destroyed one I'd discover later that there's a file I needed on the old drive. So I just file them away in case I need them later. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

same thing happens to mine... i have a hp chrome notebook... i love it.. and i'm definetely getting another one.. but mines 4 yrs old and this happens to me.. not all the time but i'd say maybe 3x a week... i use it alot.. so soon i know its time for a new one

Esteemed Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@FlowerBear,  rather than destroy the old hard drive please consider removing it and keeping it available just in case something you want/need doesn't transfer to the new hard drive.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.