Respected Contributor

Re: Laptop For Grandson For College

[ Edited ]

Let him make the decision.  He will know what to get when pressed, they all do at that age.  My grandson is going to start in fall and requested an Apple mac air.  The 13" is a perfect size and he also has an apple phone.  A lot of folks like to have devices that are the same so they can communicate with each other.  I have an Apple phone, Ipad and Mac Air.

If he has an apple phone, he may want an apple computer.

Then YOU BUY IT.  With a bunch of money in hand, it can fritter away in a day. All this stuff ships free. 

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

I'm not trying to do this on my own, that why I posted this. I am doing other searches also.

He does not know anything about laptops, that is why I am not involving him right now, but may later. I know he will be excited about it.

This is strictly preliminary investigating for informational purposes!

I've also tried to find help on the school's website, of which I just found out that many software downloads are indeed available free to students - yay!  I have also visited the school bookstore and found no information.

I may give the school a call as someone suggested, they will know if any specials are available and where.

Best approach give him money toward buying one that will fit his needs , 

?how does a kid get thru HS and have no clue about what computers  he will need for college 

@jackthebear - I guess I'm giving the wrong impression and am almost sorry I asked my question.   Yes of course he has used computers through high school, that doesn't necessarily mean he's an expert about laptops. He uses his cell phone for a lot of things.  

And as I mentioned both he and his Dad are prone to wait until the day before school to get supplies.  They are the definition of procrastination, not stupidity. 

I just asked a question for myself right now, to get more informed about laptops for college,  I didn't think I would have to explain myself or defend my grandson.....

You got good advice.  Someone who knows nothineg about notebook/laptop computers needs to consult with your grandson and school to find out what is needed.  Personally, if I had a grandson who waited to the last minute would do without. 
Trying to explain again, I'm sure he won't wait until the last minute for this kind of thing, we're talking about college here, not high school and I know he will be responsible.  But as I stated  I am the one wanting to find out about laptops right now. 

And yes I will certainly talk to him before I would purchase anything. I'm just starting to look into it. Personally, I'm glad you are not his Grandmother. You don't know him, to say such a thing. 

Respected Contributor

OK, I think I'm done with this thread.

A big thank you to all who were helpful!  I really appreciate it! 😀

Esteemed Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness wrote:

OK, I think I'm done with this thread.

A big thank you to all who were helpful!  I really appreciate it! 😀

You are a good Grandma!  And a generous one, as well.  I have found that sometimes some folks, and only a few, can be mean and snarky.  I think they eat nails for breakfast.  I am sure your grandson will get the right computer for school and so appreciate your gift.  Congratulations to you and best of luck to your grandson.  It sure is an exciting time for him.

Respected Contributor

The first thing he ought to do is check withi his college.  In the past, colleges have had certain computer requirements for on-campus use and for on-line learning.  He ought to make sure he has those in mind.

The second thing he ought to do is see if the college has any special offers available on computers.  In the past, there were certain "deals" available to incoming and returning students that were far better than what was available on the outside.

Trusted Contributor

@HerRoyaLioness  Last week we purchased a MacBook Pro 16 and love it.

However, your grandson will probably need to choose his own to suit His requirements.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@HerRoyaLioness  Last week we purchased a MacBook Pro 16 and love it.

those Apple computers are overpriced in my opinion, not suitable for college aged students.