Esteemed Contributor

In August I purchased the HP Laptop TSV for my son. When he started college 7 years ago I got him The HP TSV at that time & he loved it.So being that he started his second year of law school I thought I would get him a new one. 

I just got off the phone with customer service. I have to return the laptop.My son texted me today from school.He said the laptop keeps freezing.Apparently,this has been happening for a couple of weeks.Today it became a lot worse.He said he was trying to write a paper & it kept freezing on him!! Restarting the laptop didn't help.

So now I'd like to buy him another one.This one which included the extended warranty cost me over $900. Can anyone recommend a laptop for me? Other than a Mac which is way too expensive.

I would really appreciate your help.He's a good kid & I really want to get him something good that will last the way the other one did. Thank You 😊!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

In August I purchased the HP Laptop TSV for my son. When he started college 7 years ago I got him The HP TSV at that time & he loved it.So being that he started his second year of law school I thought I would get him a new one. 

I just got off the phone with customer service. I have to return the laptop.My son texted me today from school.He said the laptop keeps freezing.Apparently,this has been happening for a couple of weeks.Today it became a lot worse.He said he was trying to write a paper & it kept freezing on him!! Restarting the laptop didn't help.

So now I'd like to buy him another one.This one which included the extended warranty cost me over $900. Can anyone recommend a laptop for me? Other than a Mac which is way too expensive.

I would really appreciate your help.He's a good kid & I really want to get him something good that will last the way the other one did. Thank You 😊!!

If he is in law school he should be able to pick out his own laptop,

Perhaps offer him the money as a gift to get his own 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear It was a gift & therefore a surprise that obviously fizzled when it failed.I want to replace it for him because it was a gift from DH & myself.

I asked for advice on what to buy,the rest isn't necessary.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I'm using an HP laptop that I purchased a couple years ago at Costco. It's a Windows 10 operating system and has worked well.

Sounds like you got a lemon, which can happen no matter where you purcahse one or what brand you purchase.

If you son lives in a different area, perhaps you could buy one at Best Buy or other national office supply store. Then if there is a problem he could return it, or at Best Buy - have the Geek Squad check it out.

Good luck!!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates Thank you so much for your advice about Costco! There is actually one 5 minutes from my house.That's an awesome idea.They're an excellent company to deal with.They also have an extremely generous return policy. They are right under my noise & I never thought of them.Lol!! Thanks again!!

Respected Contributor

I say  give him a best buy gift card to where he can buy his own OR  get a laptop  with more memory   which may help wwith the crashing part

Trusted Contributor

You're welcome @NicksmomESQ !

Hopefully your Costco is as good as our when it comes to assistance in the electronics department. Ours has some very knowledgeable employees.

Our TV came from there too.

Respected Contributor

if he his crashing a ll the time he may have a virus or the pc may be low in memory.also  look  for processors greater than one core.  quad core is popular. 18 core is the highest you can go. each core is a CPU.  the more cores the processor has the better the performance

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz I don't know if it's the same as crashing, the laptop was constantly freezing.It's barely 30 days old so memory can't be the problem.I'll keep in mind your suggestion about the cores.

I think @sandraskates was right when she said it might just have been a lemon!

Thank You!!

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  Do you mean you called QVC's Customer Support? If so, I would have your son call HP's Tech Support (or whoever is handling the warrantly) before returning the computer.

There are many reasons a computer could be freezing. While it could certainly be a defective computer, there are a variety of other possibilities. QVC C/S staff are unlikely to be able to offer many solutions other than to return it after asking possibly a couple of very basic troubleshooting questions (it's amazing how many issues can be resolved by simply rebooting). 

The reason your son needs to be the one calling them is that the tech will most likely ask questions you won't know the answer to and/or need access to the computer (either through remote access or your son doing certain things on the computer).

One thing that pops into my mind that could cause "freezing" (as in losing wifi connection frequently) isn't even necessarily related to the computer itself. It's possible that there are too many computers, or other electronics, all using the same frequency operating in too close a proximity. I'm certainly not saying this is the case. It's just a thought that came to me because I just listened to a Q & A regarding wifi a few days ago.