Valued Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@In-x-s wrote:

I have Spectrum as well.  Call them and tell them you are THINKING about canceling you landline to reduce your bill. They should make you an offer to reduce your bill and keep everything. That's what I did and reduced my bill by quite a bit for one year. The guy told me to call back next year and ask again. He said you have to talk to retention department to get the discounts so ask for them. My bill was reduced by $80 a month!

@In-x-s, you did this recently? Because both my daughter and son-in-law worked for them when it was still Time Warner Cable and were there when Spectrum bought it out. They got rid of the sales department and told everyone that from now on, when anyone called threatening to cancel, let them. They don't play those games.

It was some time over this past summer. I've  had Spectrum for at least 20 years now. Used to be Charter Communications years ago here. 

Occasional Visitor

I wished I had kept my olf land line.  The old school landlines did not go out in bad weather and did not depend on cell towers.  I miss it dearly.

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am sure this subject has been talked about...we have Spectrum cable/internet/phone.  Prices are so out of control.  To really save we want to end cable and phone but I really love my landline!!  I know I am old school and many people I know soley operate from cell phones now.  Who still has both?  If you gave up your landline how is that working out?

@bargainsgirl not me.  Strictly cellular!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

Re: Landline phones

[ Edited ]

@Qgirl26 wrote:

@In-x-s wrote:

I have Spectrum as well.  Call them and tell them you are THINKING about canceling you landline to reduce your bill. They should make you an offer to reduce your bill and keep everything. That's what I did and reduced my bill by quite a bit for one year. The guy told me to call back next year and ask again. He said you have to talk to retention department to get the discounts so ask for them. My bill was reduced by $80 a month!

@In-x-s, you did this recently? Because both my daughter and son-in-law worked for them when it was still Time Warner Cable and were there when Spectrum bought it out. They got rid of the sales department and told everyone that from now on, when anyone called threatening to cancel, let them. They don't play those games.

LOL They play games, all right. When we canceled cable in 2018 after getting "the letter," DH and I went to one of their offices to return the set-top box which someone at Spectrum talked my husband into having delivered (and which, I, subsequently, talked him out of lol). 

They must've had their fill of questions and cancellations. We were seated and overheard one employee tell another about someone on the phone, He'll come crawling back. DH had quite a laugh over that on the way home. We haven't "crawled back," and don't intend to. Spectrum, OTOH, won't leave us alone, with no fewer than three mailings per week of offerings, discounts, etc., which now go right to into the shredder.

Then, this past summer, a Spectrum "regional representative" with a clipboard   showed up at the door. He proceeded to tell me how long we'd had cable, even citing the local cable company before Time Warner (I already knew that), and asked me, Where did we go wrong? I told him that our service had always been great, but that we loved our free TV!

He left his card, and we continue to get mail so, yes, Spectrum is interested in who's canceling and whose service might be ripe for reinstatement. 

BTW, we also have our landline, so we don't need a "mini-generator" to charge our cell phones. With the power outages here, some lasting days, we wouldn't be without it. We also like the emergency tracking that cell phones and landlines provide, if necessary.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee    When I look up VOIP it seems to refer to it for business purposes with multiple carriers, rating something called Ring Central highest.

So do you have to claim to be a business to use it?  Which carrier do you use?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee    When I look up VOIP it seems to refer to it for business purposes with multiple carriers, rating something called Ring Central highest.

So do you have to claim to be a business to use it?  Which carrier do you use?

@Kachina624 

I use Ooma residential phone service. They also offer business service, too. 

All I needed to buy from Ooma was their connection device needed to connect to the internet for phone service. Then I just used my regular home phone. No need to use any special kind of phone. You just need to buy the connection device. One and done.

Respected Contributor

I dropped cable a couple of years ago, thank goodness and just have landline, internet, no cell phone. I got Roku.

I got a tracphone once but I never used it the whole year. 

I am pretty upset though that I am discriminated against by not having one. I tried to sign up with Netflix last night but you have to have a cell phone. Guess I'm saving some money.  

I can't go pick up groceries or anything like that because you have to call when you get there. There are many things I can't do but I refuse to pay out money when I will never use it. 

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I dropped cable a couple of years ago, thank goodness and just have landline, internet, no cell phone. I got Roku.

I am pretty upset though that I am discriminated against by not having one. I tried to sign up with Netflix last night but you have to have a cell phone. Guess I'm saving some money.  

I can't go pick up groceries or anything like that because you have to call when you get there. There are many things I can't do but I refuse to pay out money when I will never use it. 

@luvmyteddy4 

I totally understand. I have a flip phone Tracfone just for emergencies and for when I pick up my groceries at curbside. I don't need or want a smart phone at all. I would never use it yet I feel pressured into getting one b/c they seem to be the way of the world now more than ever. I feel discriminated also b/c I don't have a smart phone. Too bad I don't care.

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

@luvmyteddy4   I know how you feel.  I've forgotten my cell phone on several occasions so when I get to the grocery store, I just call over one of the delivery people and give my name and parking space written on a piece of paper.  Ask him to have my groceries sent out.   I've always gotten them just fine.  If you call, they have their phone on voicemail and you can't get through anyway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have my land line with century link