Respected Contributor

I am sure this subject has been talked about...we have Spectrum cable/internet/phone.  Prices are so out of control.  To really save we want to end cable and phone but I really love my landline!!  I know I am old school and many people I know soley operate from cell phones now.  Who still has both?  If you gave up your landline how is that working out?

Honored Contributor

I have both and it'll be a long time before I give up my labdline, although it's become a luxury.  I refuse to have a cell phone attached to my fingertips 24/7.  Really hate the darn things and don't have great success with their reliability. 

With my luck, I'd be awakened by something in the middle of the night and the cell phone would be somewhere else.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I guess I am old school as well because I still have my landline and a my IPhone. I also have spectrum and agree that the prices are getting  ridiculous but I like my landline.  Most of the landline calls are Spam calls.   I recently chose the Spectrum package of picking my favorite 15 channels to keep the price down but even after doing that a few months ago the price has continued to increase. My children have encouraged me to let the landline go but I guess it's just a part of my life to have the landline. I remember the old phones from way back from the late 50s and 60s when my grandparents were alive so it's been a part of growing up. 

Honored Contributor

I have a VOIP. It's just like having an old landline phone but instead of using the old phone line it uses the internet router. I can still use my landline phone, just plug it into my VOIP box. I have Ooma VOIP service. Go to there website and read about it there. Best part is basic service is free and all I have to pay is the FCC tax which is only about $7 a month. You can even use your existing phone number. There is a procedure to transfer that number over to Ooma plus there is a one-time charge for that. No bigee. No need to get a new number is worth the fee.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Landline phones

[ Edited ]

We ditched the landline earlier this year because we switched internet companies because the landline and internet provider refused to fix all the static issues and other problems on the line. Seems we were the last ones in the neighborhood who still had a landline and they didn't want to support it anymore. We don't get that many calls anyway so we haven't had a problem.

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

We have both. 

I don't think my company charges that much for the phone.  The majority of the bill is the cable t.v. and internet.  

I don't do away with the landline because if something happens to my cell (which has happened) I like to have it as back-up.

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl    We ditched cable a couple of years ago, but continue to pay for a landline and internet.  Where we live cel service is very poor, and the landline is essential if we don't want to deal with dropped calls, especially if it happens to be an important one.  

Super Contributor

My mother still has her landline. We all convinced her to have those special house phones that connect via the cell phone towers about 5 years ago or so. Unfortunately, during that same year, we had a hurricane come through and knock out the power for about a week in our area. The new phones, of course, are connected through electricity. Needless to say, she was not a happy camper to be without a phone for a week. All of our cell phones died, as well. She told us to get rid of that thing, and she went back to her old landline. Now, whenever the power goes out, she can still make all the phone calls she wants. Some of the adventures our family has...

Honored Contributor

My fax machine is connected to the landline. That is the only reason why I have it. I think we haven't used a landline phone for about 15 years. I don't know of anyone who uses a landlines phone. But, if you are comfortable being tethered to a cord, there is no reason for you to change.  

Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I gave my landline up a couple of years ago but I became very comfortable with my cell phone before I actually pulled the plug. I used my iPhone exclusively for about 3 months before I felt ready.  I bought a portable charger, had shared my new number with friends and family.

When I pulled the plug I remember thinking, what took you so long!  No more spam calls and the convenience was great.  

I continued to evolve with my cell phone usage and use it like a mini computer.  I pay bills, texting with grands is great and while at daughters for Christmas was able to turn home lights on and off as well as adjust my heat to keep up with the freezing temps.

It's a personal decision, no right or wrong.  It works for most younger people (which I am not.) It works for me.  Everyone should do what their comfortable with.