Contributor

I only give out my landline number I can't stand talking on the cellphone...

However, I have both the landline & cellphone on my AT&T bill...

My cable is with Comcast...I would never want my phones put on the same cable line,

what if the cable goes out (as it sometimes does) then your out of luck! 
Also, the landline phone is much more comfortable to talk on.

Honored Contributor

When we dropped our old service providers and bundled everything (internet, tv, phone) with Spectrum, we kept our old landline number.

The difference now is that our "landline" is actually VOIP.  And compared to the prior copper wire phone line that was almost impossible to hear anything over, plus it would fail far too often, the new phone line is crystal clear.

We had that number for too many decades and on too many accounts to give it up.  If the power goes out (happens here in the winter), the "landline" goes, too.  But for those occasions, we use our cell phones.

I mentioned in another thread that we've recently dropped the TV part and gone to streaming.  But even with just the internet and phone, our bill is still less than we were paying to our previous company just for the phone, and for lousy service (local calls and limited to 60 long-distance minutes a month).  I won't go back to a traditional landline.

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl, I have both and the reason why is that I do not want everyone to have my cell phone number. I use Tracfone for my cell phone so I only give that out to people that I personally know. Everyone else can call the landline and leave a message. But I have Spectrum too and I definitely understand what you are saying!

Valued Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

I have Spectrum as well.  Call them and tell them you are THINKING about canceling you landline to reduce your bill. They should make you an offer to reduce your bill and keep everything. That's what I did and reduced my bill by quite a bit for one year. The guy told me to call back next year and ask again. He said you have to talk to retention department to get the discounts so ask for them. My bill was reduced by $80 a month!

@In-x-s, you did this recently? Because both my daughter and son-in-law worked for them when it was still Time Warner Cable and were there when Spectrum bought it out. They got rid of the sales department and told everyone that from now on, when anyone called threatening to cancel, let them. They don't play those games.

Honored Contributor

I have a cable phone line in the house...and keep a Tracfone in the car for emergencies ONLY (flat tire -- dead battery).

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Re: Landline phones

[ Edited ]

My cable package includes a landline but I don't use it.  Got rid of the landline years ago.  Love no more spam/telemarketing calls.  Wouldn't go back.  Love my iPhone.  Last big storm here most people's landlines went out.  There was a big uproar about it.

Do what you are comfortable with.  No right or wrong.  LM

Respected Contributor

Re: Landline phones

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl    I would not be without my landline phone.  I have a Tracfone, but never use it and most of the time I forget to take it with me when I leave the house.  I can't get over the number of people I see using those things when I go out (even in grocery store lines).  Do they have business that's that important?

Super Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am sure this subject has been talked about...we have Spectrum cable/internet/phone.  Prices are so out of control.  To really save we want to end cable and phone but I really love my landline!!  I know I am old school and many people I know soley operate from cell phones now.  Who still has both?  If you gave up your landline how is that working out?

I gave up my landline and don't miss it.  Contrary to what some have written, owning a cell phone doesn't mandate you talk on it non-stop.  Nor do you need to be constantly texting or looking at the internet.  I carry mine in a pocket in case of an emergency.  If I would fall, have a medical emergency or car trouble, I can call for help.  Some people have such distorted ideas of what it means to have a cell phone. 

Honored Contributor

I don't own a landline and I don't know of anyone who does except the posters on this thread.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am sure this subject has been talked about...we have Spectrum cable/internet/phone.  Prices are so out of control.  To really save we want to end cable and phone but I really love my landline!!  I know I am old school and many people I know soley operate from cell phones now.  Who still has both?  If you gave up your landline how is that working out?

My 91 yr old dad has a landline, no cell phone.

I gave up my landline in 1995 when soldiers deployed overseas could call cell phone users. I haven't missed my landline at all.