Honored Contributor

Landline Technology Update

[ Edited ]

Landlines will be turned off Dec 2025.

You can still keep your landline but it will now be VoIP so if your power goes out NO Phone. You need some type battery back-up. Says if you don't have cell reception in your area the provider should provide one?

Your bill will be the same since the phone company says they are still providing the service.

A Broadband connection will be installed if you don't have Interent for landline use only.  

Your phone will be plugged into your router or a new socket, which in some cases will need an adaptor supplied by your provider.

You can use your same home phone unless it's too old.

Your phone will still have a dial tone like you have now.

Your phone company is supposed to call you regarding the change. They are already moving customers over to the new digital system. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Landline Technology Update

@Nightowlz Who is "they"? What is the source of this information?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz   Thank you for posting this information, although I sure hate to hear it.  Where I live, we do not get cell reception whatsoever.  Plus, being being so far out in the country and my parents health being an issue, I'm terrified that a cell tower will not be put in in time.  

Also, because internet service here must be provided through a satellite, the only two people I do know with the VOIP phones have such poor service, the line is constantly filled with static so badly it's hard to talk to them.

I pray that this is considered first beforehand.  There are a lot of families on my stretch of highway until cell service is working.  

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.  Would you please mention where you're talking about?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@cheriere   Does not apply to USofA. 

This is what happens when people do not provide their source(s).

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@cheriere  The OP doesn't say who "they" are, or what area or what the source it. Color me skeptical.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz You are misinformed.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids.  Someone else mentioned some pending legislation in California regarding this issue.  I don't know where she lives.

Can you imagine the chaos that would ensue with emergency services?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids   &.   @Mz iMac  

Thank you both so much for bringing this to my attention.  💝💝💝

I was scared out of my wits!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP's information appears to be directly about the termination of copper wire based landline service in the UK:

The Big Switch Off

Landline services are changing in the UK. The old system will be switched off in 2025 and landlines will use broadband to make calls. If you rely on a landline, you will still be able to make calls but the technology that powers them will be different.