Esteemed Contributor

If you are as pro LG phones as I am you won't be happy about this. It had been rumored for months but now it is confirmed.

LG Electronics to wind down mobile business, becoming the first major smartphone brand to withdraw from global market

The company’s smartphone division is expected to be wound down by July 31, 2021

I'm not linking the article because the above is all that deals with the announcement.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

And I have an AT&T phone.  They will not support a 3G network after February 2022.  So I'm searching for a simple, simple phone with an inexpensive voice only plan.  Seriously considering the Jitterbug.  Any suggestions/recommendations???

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LG Smartphones

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50

All cellular carrier will discontinue 3G service to move  bandwidth to 5G networks.

Please don't cancel your AT&T service until you have a phone. You need service to port your number to a new phone. 

Great Call sells a Jitterbug 2 smartphone. It will run on Verizon 4G network. Your current phone runs on AT&T. These two networks both provide  excellent service to their customers.

Does Verizon have good quality service in your area and  to the people who you call?

Best buy sells phones from this company. I saw a sale online. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg  Thanks!  You make some good points.  Appreciated!

Respected Contributor

Re: LG Smartphones

[ Edited ]

I've been wanting to upgrade my current LG phone. 
 Guess I'll start looking for a Samsung or Motorola. 

Honored Contributor

I have an LG Stylo 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

The smartphone market is insanely competitive and companies like TCL, One Plus, Blu, Oukitel, and others, are jumping in and taking over the low to middle-end markets and infringing on the upper-end of the market. A company like LG would be hard-pressed to be able to make a profit in the smartphone sector given the level of competition, so if you can't make money in a market segment, get out of that segment. It's a smart business move by LG. 

As to the poster wanting a new phone and service, Tracfone is still pretty hard to beat. Tracfones here at QVC start at around $56 including a full year's service, so you're paying less than $5 a month to get a new phone and use of it for a year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman

LG has not been a market leader since 2013. The company has loss money in this space a long time.

QVC had a special weekend deal on a Tracfone  Samsung A21. This phone is running on AT&T/T-Mobile GSM network. The company will assign customers service by zip code. 

This change may just be temporary or permanent. The Tracfone Team associate did a nice job answering my question. 

Tracfone service can be very cheap, but folks may have another concern, Will the service work where they live or want to call?

We know Verizon is grabbing money. 

Honored Contributor

I've had my service thought AT&T since 2001 - and have used iPhones since about 2010.  

I'm on my third .... just got a iPhone 12.  

No issues with AT&T at all.