Esteemed Contributor

Kindle Fire Trade-In Question

[ Edited ]

I have the old Kindle Fire 10 and it appears to have crashed.  All I get is Alexa, the time, and the weather, and I have tried several times to take it back to factory mode.  After checking online, this seems to be a recurring problem with this model.  

I want to return it for a credit towards the new Fire 10, but I am concerned about safety since I have personal information on the old one that I cannot clear.  Has anyone returned one without being able to delete their info?

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle Fire Trade-In Question

I sent my very very old kindle in and from what I read, they wipe it clean - but check the details on Amazon or maybe you could phone them? . I didn't have a charger at home to see if it even worked any longer.   Ended up with a $10 credit and the 20% off the new device. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why don't you call Amazon and ask!  Btw, if it is inoperable you won't get much (if anything). I'm considering turning my 10 in (operates fine) and I'd get $30 plus 20% off new Fire.

Esteemed Contributor

Amazon gives customers from $5-$30 on a Fire 10 (7th) generation tablet. This depends on the external and internal condition of the device. 

Honored Contributor

I'm assuming you've done the "hold the power button in to fully shut down the Fire then restart it" bit. If not, give that a try. You have to hold the button in for quite a few seconds (ten to twenty) to fully shut it down. 

I wouldn't worry too much about any personal information on it. There are easier ways for the bad guys to get information these days. Most of those who mined old hard drives/data have given up that game and now rely on phishing schemes instead. They're looking for maximum return on minimum investment and buying up old electronics in the hope that there's some usable data on it just isn't very profitable these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  I went online to find that this is a common problem and I did everything suggested to get it out of Alexa.  I will be sending it back and try the next one.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

On my 2nd Fire 10. First one died under a year and Amazon replaced but with refurb. My fire 10 would not hold a charge and got really hot. Went to help page for this model and kept it plugged in until it reached minimum need in order to clear. Think it was 30percent. It took a couple of days but I got my data off. I would never trust any personal info to a unknown techie!  Hope you have laptop to get the info. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

You need to call them for tech help.  They may be able to fix it over the phone.  Sounds like you have it in Alexa mode.  Of course, you may already know that.

I'd actually call them for tech support rather than google fixes.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone traded in their old Kindle and bought a new one? How exactly does it work, we print out a label and provide our own box to send the Kindle in? Then do you wait to see how much you get for a trade in ( I would get $30), then purchase a Kindle, get 20% off and apply the $30 to it?

Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered two of the new 7 inch fire tablet's for my two nieces. I had a old 10 inch fire that I sent in that my daughter owned. So, I am waiting to see what happens. I was able to put it back to factory settings.