Respected Contributor

I'm pretty sure it's the last generation HDX. Although it was a very good deal. They revise Kindles all the time. There are two or three new ones and I'm having a hard time keeping up!

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why they would have two Kindles named the same. How hard would it be to call this year's 8.9"" Kindle Fire HDX2.

Regular Contributor

Just a head's up that Amazon is pushing through it's newest Sangria OS update to the Fire HDX 7's now, which makes them on par with the new HDX 8.9's OS. To check to see if you have it, go to Settings > Device Options > System Updates. If you have the latest operating system it will show "Fire OS 4.1.1".

Regular Contributor
On 11/12/2014 Mayfayre said:

Just a head's up that Amazon is pushing through it's newest Sangria OS update to the Fire HDX 7's now, which makes them on par with the new HDX 8.9's OS. To check to see if you have it, go to Settings > Device Options > System Updates. If you have the latest operating system it will show "Fire OS 4.1.1".

Exactly. My 2013 Kindle 8.9 HDX updated to Sangria last month. In my opinion the difference between the 2014 and 2013 8.9 HDX is not significantly different. Sure, there some minor changes, but I'm very happy with the 2013 model. It just depends on what you want to do with it. The browser is very fast for both.