Honored Contributor

Re: Kindle FIre

[ Edited ]

@Shirley1949 wrote:

Can anyone tell me if the 7" Kindles that are being sold by QVC now can be read at the beach or in very bright light?  The older models could not be read at the beach.  It never seemed to be able to brignten the screen bright enough to read it and the glossy screen was a cause too because of reflection in bright light.

No, they cannot; they are back-lit screens like all other tablets. To read at the beach you need a Kindle e-reader, like the basic Kindle or the Paperwhite, which are front-lit e-ink - completely different than conventional tablet screens.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
New Contributor

Thanks.  I would have thought by this time, they may have figured out a way to accomplish the ability to read it in any lighting.  E reader is good with me anyway, that is all I would use it for is reading books......

Honored Contributor

I don't really understand the problem.  I do everything on my Kindle Fire.  I read my emails, I surf the web, I watch tv, I buy stuff, I listen (and buy) my music, I read my books, I could play any of thousands of games but I don't play games. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't really understand the problem.  I do everything on my Kindle Fire.  I read my emails, I surf the web, I watch tv, I buy stuff, I listen (and buy) my music, I read my books, I could play any of thousands of games but I don't play games. 

I gather that the problem for the OP was that she has zero ties to the Amazon ecosystem, does not want to read on her device or consume books, video or music purchased from Amazon - and that she assumed (without investigating first) that the Fire was a standard, purchase-from-Google Play device. She chose not to cope with the fact that some apps weren't available for the Fire, and that some "looked different" on her screen. She didn't want the Fire because it wouldn't directly synch/mimic Google play apps. Which she would have known if she'd done any pre-purchase reading of reviews or review websites like CNET and etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

you do not have to be a prime member. it has nothing to do with prime.  Amazon fire tablets have their own app store not google play.

what you can do is enable third party downloads under settings. Go to getjar dot com  and you can downnload google apps from there.  I used that site to download my nook app

the tablet is geared for amazon digital  movies/tv and amazon ebooks

Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

you do not have to be a prime member. it has nothing to do with prime.  Amazon fire tablets have their own app store not google play.

what you can do is enable third party downloads under settings. Go to getjar dot com  and you can downnload google apps from there.  I used that site to download my nook app

It is not safe side loading apps from a dot.com site. There are fake apps that can hack your device, and steal your identity.

Respected Contributor

you can go to the apps section to delete extra  stuff off the kindle. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

It is not safe side loading apps from a dot.com site. There are fake apps that can hack your device, and steal your identity.

I never had issues with that site. It was instructions given to me so I can get  my nook books onto my  kindle

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Kindle FIre

[ Edited ]

@kcladyz wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

I never had issues with that site. It was instructions given to me so I can get  my nook books onto my  kindle

http://blog.checkpoint.com/2016/11/30/1-million-google-accounts-breached-gooligan/

https://gooligan.checkpoint.com/

Esteemed Contributor

My Credit Union assured me that using their app on a phone or tablet was as secure as any other computer.