Esteemed Contributor

This is for those of you who buy additional Tracfone airtime when your '1 year' is about to expire. If you just dump your phone and buy new before your airtime is up, this post won't matter to you.

I'm happy to say, on their newly re-designed website, you can still buy 1 year of airtime only, for $49.99.

That's always been a 'website only' special offer, and as before, it remains hidden until you're in the checkout process for some other purchase. 

There seems to be a minimum $purchase requirement, as this offer didn't show up onscreen during checkout a month ago when I logged into their website to buy 1000 texts for $5.00.

I thought they'd discontinued the offer.

This week I logged on, selected 2000 more texts, and unhappily selected a pay-as-you-go card that gave talk/text/data I didn't want, just to get the 90 days that came with it.

As I proceeded thru checkout, the 1 year/$49.99 offer appeared on the screen. At the same time it allowed me the option to cancel the pay-as-you-go card. So I only bought texts and a year of airtime. 

Oh joy !!! 

It's still possible to buy what I do need without having to buy what I don't need or want to get it.

Respected Contributor

Whenever I buy Pay as you Go, I get additional airtime it seems.  I have switched to a monthly plan (where my triple minutes don't count), but so far happy with it and it's lasting me the entire month for $26 and I don't have to worry about running out.  It took me so long to figure out that darn new website, but I finally did. 

Respected Contributor

I am so confused, what is pay as you go...I buy a new phone before my expiration date, transfer my balance to the new phone and get an entire year plus 1300 minutes of talk/text etc for the price of a new phone.

That's all I spend per year, approx $90-$120 depending on the phone.

Why would I spend $49.99 for another year plus pay for more airtime when that's so expensive to buy on its own vs spending around $89 from HSN's TSV when they had that.

Esteemed Contributor

@hoosieroriginal,  pay-as-you-go cards always come with some airtime in addition to their talk/text/data. I used them in my TracFone flip phone, which finally  deactivated.

I'm glad you found the TracFone package that suits the way you use your phone.

I'm still talking on 'talk' minutes I bought years ago, so sure don't want to waste my money buying more talk.

But I sure appreciate being able to just buy 10 thousand texts and the year of airtime. That's perfect for me!

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@hoosieroriginal,  pay-as-you-go cards always come with some airtime in addition to their talk/text/data. I used them in my TracFone flip phone, which finally  deactivated.

I'm glad you found the TracFone package that suits the way you use your phone.

I'm still talking on 'talk' minutes I bought years ago, so sure don't want to waste my money buying more talk.

But I sure appreciate being able to just buy 10 thousand texts and the year of airtime. That's perfect for me!

@x Hedge - you know you can buy 1GB data for $10 also don't you?  That's a pretty good deal!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, you sound confused @Just Bling.

One year of airtime and 10,000 texts is $100.

That'll see me through another year on this particular phone, which is perfect size, OS, memory, etc for its primary use, which is texting.

I have absolutely no use for 1300 more talk minutes or MB data, nor do I want another/different phone. 

I've just deactivated an older phone, and next month I'll be deactivating my newest phone, which I primary use to access internet. Don't need activation to continue that use, so will save that $49.99.

The newer phone has an advantage online and has greater WiFi strength, but is an absolute dog for calling, and has the worst keyboard 'dictionary' I've ever used.

The only thing it excells at is internet search.

TracFone has been releasing several new phones yearly, but common sense and a little research will tell you many of them have several drawbacks. The recent Skye is great, others not so great. New isnt always better.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the data prices sure have improved tremendously in just a couple of years @hoosieroriginal. Two years ago I was dependant on data and it cost twice what it does now. I can get WiFi now and only use data to transmit MMS.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister,  just saw you're looking for air time without minutes. Yes its possible.  Read this.

@x Hedge wrote:

This is for those of you who buy additional Tracfone airtime when your '1 year' is about to expire. If you just dump your phone and buy new before your airtime is up, this post won't matter to you.

I'm happy to say, on their newly re-designed website, you can still buy 1 year of airtime only, for $49.99.

That's always been a 'website only' special offer, and as before, it remains hidden until you're in the checkout process for some other purchase. 

There seems to be a minimum $purchase requirement, as this offer didn't show up onscreen during checkout a month ago when I logged into their website to buy 1000 texts for $5.00.

I thought they'd discontinued the offer.

This week I logged on, selected 2000 more texts, and unhappily selected a pay-as-you-go card that gave talk/text/data I didn't want, just to get the 90 days that came with it.

As I proceeded thru checkout, the 1 year/$49.99 offer appeared on the screen. At the same time it allowed me the option to cancel the pay-as-you-go card. So I only bought texts and a year of airtime. 

Oh joy !!! 

It's still possible to buy what I do need without having to buy what I don't need or want to get it.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much, Hedge, for the info.  I may try to buy the $49.99 special for one year of service time, and see what happens when I am checking out.