Respected Contributor

Is there a difference between Alexa and Echo?

I want to get one, but not sure if theyre the same.  Mainly want to use it for info, turning on lights, shopping lists etc.  

And is the Dot just a smaller Alexa ? Or is it like an add on to the big one to put in additional rooms?

Novice Grandma here.  Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a difference between Alexa and Echo?

[ Edited ]

Yes

Alexa is a voice (software) (one of many).

Echo is the product/device (hardware).

For further info, go on Amazon's website to view all their Echo devices.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are one in the same.  The name of the device is an Echo.  The voice that speaks from it is fondly called "Alexa".  The Dot is a smaller version that operates independently, it needs no Echo.  However, the sound quality of music played by the Dot is poor.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Amazon makes different models of Echo. The site should ha...

Amazon makes different models of Echo. The site should have a comparison chart of this item.
Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I want to get one, but not sure if theyre the same.  Mainly want to use it for info, turning on lights, shopping lists etc.  

And is the Dot just a smaller Alexa ? Or is it like an add on to the big one to put in additional rooms?

Novice Grandma here.  Thanks for your help!

@meem120 The Echo is a type of Alexa that has a screen. It can display videos, the weather, a clock with time, look in on relatives that are in another location, display your photos, play many games with you, teach you new skills, show cooking videos, do calculations, set reminders and many more functions. You can watch movies on it from Amazon Prime and you can see news shows from local stations in different parts of the country. It can also do what a regular Alexa can do, which includes audio functions such as playing music, listening to podcasts or news reports, searching the internet to answer questions, reading a book aloud to you, give you the stock market report, help you get food delivered. Both the Echo and Alexa can turn on lights, give you the weather, help you make a shopping list. I love my Echo because it's so versatile. Both the echo and regular Alexas such as the Dot can sync with each other and both can be used with the Alexa app. 

Regular Contributor

I  have both..Echo in my  bedroom and Alexa in the Den.....I prefer Alexa use it for many things...Echo for music and coast to coast  at night .I don't want to be without either one...So much enjoyment .

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D  and everyone.  Thank you so much for helping me out.  I appreciate it so much. Now to decide.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@meem120 wrote:

@Mindy D  and everyone.  Thank you so much for helping me out.  I appreciate it so much. Now to decide.  Thank you.

@meem120   

@Mindy D  and @pattiewaddle  were explaining it incorrectly.  Go back and read @Mz Imac, @Kachina624  and @Nuttmeg  responses.

Alexa is the voice of the Echo.  Echo is the device.  Alexa is not a device, only the voice that answers your questions.  The Dot is the smaller Echo.  Echo Show is the one with the screen but doesn't do as much as the other Echo's do otherwise.  Please go to Amazon and look at the devices.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have both the Echo Show (with the screen) and the Echo and I love the Echo Show better.  I love having the screen to get recipes as it goes step by step (if you want) or just see the recipe.  I play jeopardy on it, watch QVC if I'm in the kitchen.  My friends have it also and we do drop in's with eachother.  Which is great now with the social distancing.  I do have the Echo in my bedroom and family room when just want to hear music.