Honored Contributor

Internet throttling! 😖

[ Edited ]

Our internet provider is throttling our internet!

And this is a real pain.

It makes shopping online a real chore and also it makes posting here in the forum a chore too!

What with constantly having to sign in, and then trying to post pictures, etc, I feel like I spend many hours a day "fighting" with my iPad.

This is stressful and discouraging!

I will not invest in home apps that rely on internet either until the situation is fixed.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Internet throttling! 😖

I believe it's this particular website which is having some difficulties.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

@''yes about the Q site and problems

i have been getting the message "cannot provide a secure connection" on my iPad. Not getting the message on iPhone.

Iphone uses a smaller bandwidth, and so we all might as well throw our iPads (with the larger, easier-to-read screens away!)

Too bad...

My husband uses a desktop computer, and also has problems at certain times of the day.

ATT ISP has been documented to throttle internet service.

I doubt that companies who provide internet service thought about how throttling would affect sales.

I also doubt that APPLE wants people to stop purchasing iPads, but I will publicize the fact that I have problems whenever I can.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Obama passed a bill  that all got equal access all the time but that has been thrown out with just about everything else

Valued Contributor

I agree that QVC's website has been weird lately but I also agree that we are being throttled since net neutrality went away. Comcast emailed me a few days ago crowing about increasing my internet speed from 50 to 100 mbps. I checked my speed before this post and it's currently at 20 mbps. Hardly an increase! You can check your internet speed by going to test dot com. It's quick and free.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

And this is a real pain.

It makes shopping online a real chore and also it makes posting here in the forum a chore too!

What with constantly having to sign in, and then trying to post pictures, etc, I feel like I spend many hours a day "fighting" with my iPad.

I will not invest in home apps that rely on internet either until the situation is fixed.

I don’t understand what throttling the internet means....is that tec talk?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@sidsmom 

@''yes about the Q site and problems

i have been getting the message "cannot provide a secure connection" on my iPad. Not getting the message on iPhone.

Iphone uses a smaller bandwidth, and so we all might as well throw our iPads (with the larger, easier-to-read screens away!)

Too bad...

My husband uses a desktop computer, and also has problems at certain times of the day.

ATT ISP has been documented to throttle internet service.

I doubt that companies who provide internet service thought about how throttling would affect sales.

I also doubt that APPLE wants people to stop purchasing iPads, but I will publicize the fact that I have problems whenever I can.

@LTT1,   Granted the ISPs are engaging in some throttling, and I agree with @Jasmine19 that it's a good idea to use one of the speed test websites (or apps) to check the service for each of your devices, but my Apple devices are all working the same on this site.   

My iPad 6 is performing especially well, and I've noticed posting images here has actually improved a bit.   Yesterday there were problems that included the need for frequent sign-ins, but that was temporary...  usually, once I sign in it stays that way for hours.    If you have "background app refresh" enabled, that might be causing the log-outs.   There are the usual, frustrating problems specific to Q's site, but I'm not encountering anything of the magnitude you describe.   It seems to me the problem is with your individual device -- and that could be the good news😊 since you probably can take the clues one-by-one and resolve the issues yourself.

I use the Safari browser for my iPads and iPhone and I clear history/cookies/cache/website data at least once a day.   Do you mind if I ask what steps you've taken to troubleshoot your connectivity problem with your iPad?   You report a wide variety of problems, and it would help to narrow things down a wee bit.    Have you tried resetting network settings (under Settings, General, Reset Network Settings)?

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.   Very frustrating, I know.

[For reference:   All of my devices have the most current operating system and browser software versions for those devices -- some of my devices are old.  I use an iMac (macOS 10.13.6) with either Google Chrome (78.0.3904.70), or Safari (13.0.2), or Firefox (v. 70.0).   Also,  I use the mobile Safari browser on my iPad 6 (iOS 13.1.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 10.3.4), and iPad 3 (iOS 9.3.6).]

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

isp's have very few orders online, so they don't consider slowing things down an issue.

they are probably ****** that more and more customers are switching to things like netflix and dumping their cable/satellite subscriptions to their way over priced premium channels, like hbo and showtime.

and probably worse, they are probably working on some pricing scheme to change how they charge for internet access, based on usage.

and like @hopi  said, the current folks have done away with equal internet access

these days it's always something, as some companies are trying to figure out ways to charge more for less.
it's disgusting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@LTT1 wrote:

And this is a real pain.

I don’t understand what throttling the internet means....is that tec talk?

@dex,  It's another way of saying the ISP is messing with the speed of our internet service.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Most ISP's don't throttle "typical" users. When your Internet slows down it's often due to slow loading ads. You think when you go to a website that you're just going to that one website. I saw a report a while back where the writers of the report tracked every website that was accessed when you went to certain sites. In one case nearly a hundred sites were involved in your visit to what to you was one site. The website was selling advertising to several different ad wholesalers (for lack of better word) who would then reach out to multiple other sites to download ads specifically tailored to you. It was an ad heavy site and could take forever to load because of that. The only way to truly know your speed is by doing a speed test on a wired connection. Wireless connections will always be slower.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!