Respected Contributor

I just got a message when I opened my Instagram icon that said my account was suspended for 30 days so they could verify my age and proof of identity. Is this legit?  Seems very strange to me.  They send you a code then they want you to send them a photo with your bday on it.  So since they never saw me, how do they know it is me???  I did not complete the transaction...

Trusted Contributor

Re: Instagram question????

[ Edited ]

That sounds awful fishy. When I opened my IG account it was immediate access and no waiting period or requests for personal information.

Honored Contributor

Why am I being asked to upload an ID to Instagram?

There are several reasons you may be asked to send in a copy of your ID to Instagram:
  • To confirm that the account you're trying to access belongs to you.
  • To confirm or edit your age.
  • To process payments.
  • To help prevent abuse such as scams or phishing.
If you're not sure what type of IDs Instagram can use to confirm your identity, please review our ID list. To upload your ID to Instagram, follow the on-screen instructions. In most cases, you’ll have at least two attempts to submit an ID.

During the review process you may temporarily lose access to your account. If you choose not to confirm your identity, your content may receive reduced distribution or you may not be able to log back into your account. In some cases, if you do not pass our review, you’ll be notified in the Instagram app that we may disable your account and delete your account data.

Keep in mind, we won’t make your ID visible to others on Instagram.
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl   I have an Instagram account that I seldom use.  There was no freeze/waiting period/proof of identity nonsense.  I agree with @PilatesLover that this is a scam.  I would NOT open/reply or use embedded links.

Try to find a path to contact the Instagram folks another way.  Do they have a "contact us" link on their site?  Or a "frequently asked questions" section?

So many fraudulent scams out there . . . it is SO frustrating!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Valued Contributor

Oh that would be the "Zuckerburg Police.".

They did that to me on FB.

I was on there for years.

Made a few friends but mostly played 2 games daily.

Then one day in the midst of a game I get knocked off and said " my account has been frozen as they got to "protect" me and my account they would need the following info..  A photo, showing my name, a credit card, mortgage showing my name, I mean everything but my fist born child.

Well ,I tried to contact them to see just what scam was going on, never heard a thing from them, mainly because there is no way to contact them. That was way back in March 2021//

To this day I refuse to submit what they are asking for. My husband who joined a few months ago was not asked for any of these things.

I finally realized its a site for kids really, but I do miss those 2 games and you can't find them anywhere else...lol

Trusted Contributor

Re: Instagram question??

[ Edited ]

As far as I know that is the legit way IG verifies accounts.  It happened to a friend of mine and that was the only way she could get back into her account.  
Just go into insta whichever way you usually do and see if you can get into your account.  

Trusted Contributor

@pieman wrote:

Oh that would be the "Zuckerburg Police.".

They did that to me on FB.

I was on there for years.

Made a few friends but mostly played 2 games daily.

Then one day in the midst of a game I get knocked off and said " my account has been frozen as they got to "protect" me and my account they would need the following info..  A photo, showing my name, a credit card, mortgage showing my name, I mean everything but my fist born child.

Well ,I tried to contact them to see just what scam was going on, never heard a thing from them, mainly because there is no way to contact them. That was way back in March 2021//

To this day I refuse to submit what they are asking for. My husband who joined a few months ago was not asked for any of these things.

I finally realized its a site for kids really, but I do miss those 2 games and you can't find them anywhere else...lol

Now that sounds like a scam.  Your fb account may have been hacked.  I have never ever heard of them asking for a credit card and mortgage.  That had to be a phishing scam.  In general, the game sites get a lot of hacks, inside and outside of social media.