Regular Contributor

Important Apple Security Update

There is an important Apple security update out yesterday 8/17/22 for most iPhones, iPads and Macs running Catalina and Monterey.  Apparently there is a flaw that can allow someone to take full control of these affected devices.  The update fixes this flaw.  It is all over the news; just search for "Apple security update."  If your device is affected, install the update.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Important Apple Security Update

In the iPad and iPhone version this update is iOS 15.6.1. I installed it on my two iPads and my iPhone XR last night. There were no problems for the download and installation and all my devices function exactly as they did before. I'm sure the update was issued for important reasons, but it's very transparent.

I, too, urge those with relevant devices install this new update. 

Honored Contributor

I just did mine, all is well.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info, I need to check my devices and see if they are up to date. 

Honored Contributor

@JanetsGirl - Thanks so much for letting us know about this. I just checked my iPad and am installing this!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JanetsGirl wrote:

There is an important Apple security update out yesterday 8/17/22 for most iPhones, iPads and Macs running Catalina and Monterey.  Apparently there is a flaw that can allow someone to take full control of these affected devices.  The update fixes this flaw.  It is all over the news; just search for "Apple security update."  If your device is affected, install the update.

I just completed this but in settings under WiFi indicates : weak security. I have cleared history and everything that I can think of. Closed and restarted IPad and no changes. I deleted all my junk, spam, drafts, unnecessary emails sent and received. 
Finally the weak security notification was removed.

Respected Contributor

@JanetsGirl I heard about this on the news...but I have an IPad and usually if it needs an update I get a prompt in my settings app, which I didn't get this time??

How does one install the update? Tks in advance.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, no alert came on my "settings" but when I clicked on it it's in there. Updating!

Honored Contributor

Updated my iPhone last night and my MacBook Pro (using Catalina) this morningl. 

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb wrote:

@JanetsGirl I heard about this on the news...but I have an IPad and usually if it needs an update I get a prompt in my settings app, which I didn't get this time??

How does one install the update? Tks in advance.

Go into Settings; General, and Software Update should be right there.