Valued Contributor

If I transfer my into and minutes to a new smartphone- then?

I have a non-smart tracfone and bought a tracfone smartphone--- I have LOTS of minutes on it --- IF I transfer the minutes and my phone number and contacts to the new smartphone- and then the smartphone isn't working right--- then what? Will they keep a record of my minutes etc from the old phone and be able to transfer them back? This is freaking me out - I'm afraid to do it because I really have a lot of minutes etc.Has anyone had a problem getting their info back if the new phone doesn't work right? TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: If I transfer my into and minutes to a new smartphone- then?

@sipp  I have never had a huge issue transferring any minutes and have never had a phone never work right and  I  have had a tracfone since it's been around.  Years ago I had my phone mistakenly shut down even though I had auto refill and CS got my minutes back.

Valued Contributor

Tracfone CS is very good at moving things around behind the scenes.  I have upgraded my phone a number of times now and have had to call them since I no longer have a landline to call it.   Never had a problem.

Honored Contributor

TracFone has an accurate accounting of your minutes in your accoint.  Anytime you change phones, the minutes automatically transfer.  I've never had a problem and I get s new phone about every 2 yesrs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@sipp ,

Before making any big change that could potentially result in a mixup and my losing airtime or minutes:

I log onto the TracFone website and get the current balance for my phone. I take a picture of that.

Then I do whatever I need to do with my TracFone account, and later the same day I log on, get my balance, and take another picture.

This gives me a before and after.

Things usually go smoothly, but I did need this one time. Rather than me claiming I had so-and-so many minutes, I was able to show them that their own website acknowledged I had those minutes.

Be aware, you'll get the minutes you paid for, but not the extra "bonus" double or triple minutes.

Valued Contributor

Well Ladies (all who commented) We got a smartphone and am trying to switch over from his non smart phone-  for my husband and it's just been one incompetent tech after another (NINE OF THEM) and his phone does NOT show up in his account at all!! They don't want to give him the year of service- say they never heard of it- and the 1500 etc. he also had triple on his non smart- and we're still not seeing that he ever OWNED a phone (yet had it and used it for YEARS!!!)

Esteemed Contributor

@sipp  I'm a bit confused.

But I'd suggest you focus on just one step at a time. TracFone is best at "do-it-yourself", and it's best to avoid their CS when possible.

I'm going to proceed, assuming your old phone is a TracFone, and is still active.

Do you have an existing account at the TracFone website for your old phone?  Never did that?

You have to go to the website and set up an account.

You'll need an email address, make up a password you'll use only there, and register a credit card for future purchases.

You'll need your old phone's phone number and serial number (which is in the phone if you don't have your paperwork).

Make up an easy nickname for your old phone, like "oldfone". That nickname will be assigned to your old phone at your account.

(Make sure you use a name for the account that goes with the name on the credit card you register, so it's not Jim's account, but using Ann's credit card.

Now you have an account and your old phone is associated with it.

Now activate the new phone right on the website and add it to the account as a 2nd active device.

During activation the new phone will be assigned a new phone number and credited for the 1500/1500/1500 + year of airtime that was bundled with your purchase. 

Log out before you leave the TF website.

Now, put the new phone through a trial. Use all the features, adjust all the settings, make sure things work, and be committed to keeping it.

(Obviously, this is all done over days, not one afternoon.)

Next step is to use the Transfer Wizard to transfer information. However, it may be incompatible between smart & non-smart. You may have to do it by hand.

When you no longer need the old phone, on the TracFone website, transfer any remaining minutes and airtime to the new phone, and port the phone number from the old to the new device. You can skip this if you're not attached to the old number. 

A phone with no minutes, no airtime, and no phone number will deactivate. It'll stay on your account as Deactivated Device.

I'm trying to compartmentalize and put space between every move so you can't wind up with neither phone working.

Valued Contributor

WOW where were you when I first posted- that was great- except we DID contact CS- and yes- it was a mess- (and still is because my husband did have an account and now they've messed it up and neither phone (old or new) is registered (although they did manage to transfer the correct amt of minutes and expiration date from the old phone and add to the new phone. 

NOW since you've been SO HELPFUL----- the new phone has 56 apps on it!! which  no way is my husband going to use those- he's lucky he can turn it on- (only because he's not tech savvy and doesn't want to be- I'm dragging him kicking and screaming into this century!) ANYHOW- he will use it to phone, and text and doubtfully take pics -- (i don't know if he will or not) and that's about the extent of it- We had to make a google account to have him get the tracfone ap- but for maybe 2 games- he'll never use the maps (our car does that) or weather or radio etc etc- SO is there any way to tell what apps are absolutely  necessary and which can be eliminated w/o taking a  month to figure it out?THANKYOU SO MUCH!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

WOW where were you when I first posted- that was great- except we DID contact CS- and yes- it was a mess- (and still is because my husband did have an account and now they've messed it up and neither phone (old or new) is registered (although they did manage to transfer the correct amt of minutes and expiration date from the old phone and add to the new phone. 

NOW since you've been SO HELPFUL----- the new phone has 56 apps on it!! which  no way is my husband going to use those- he's lucky he can turn it on- (only because he's not tech savvy and doesn't want to be- I'm dragging him kicking and screaming into this century!) ANYHOW- he will use it to phone, and text and doubtfully take pics -- (i don't know if he will or not) and that's about the extent of it- We had to make a google account to have him get the tracfone ap- but for maybe 2 games- he'll never use the maps (our car does that) or weather or radio etc etc- SO is there any way to tell what apps are absolutely  necessary and which can be eliminated w/o taking a  month to figure it out?THANKYOU SO MUCH!

@sipp  There is an old expression in the tech world. It says, "If is not broken do not fix it".

Do not remove any apps from your husband phone. Some are critical, the phone will not run without them. 

Any unopened app does not use storage space. 

Please go to the settings, make sure the phone will backup to the Google cloud and your DH Gmail account. 

While you are in the settings make sure the phone will only update apps using wifi. 

The Google photo app can be made to automatically upload your photos to the cloud when using wifi. 

Valued Contributor

whoops- he removed facebook- I told him I'd ask you about anything else! Smiley Happy thanks so much for your help