Respected Contributor

Re: I need Apple people for advice please

I have had the MacBook Pro for about a month.  The keyboard was not my favorite part so I spent $100 and got a different Apple keyboard. It's small enough to fit over the touchpad area and it's fine now. I just remove it when I close the lid.  I also use a wireless mouse.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Icegoddess I have fooled with Pages for a minute or two and it looks great.  I actually just got a keyboard for my Ipad so I could really try it out.  It supposedly does well in doing EPUB for Amazon according to what I have read.

Supposedly everyone hates the keyboard because there isn't a lot of give to the keys.  I think that would drive me nuts too but I'd have to try it like @Sooner said to know for sure.

I really wish the typewriter would come back.  Lot less to think about.  Smiley LOL

@Laura14 Only if you enjoy typing things perfectly, cutting out the copy, waxing the back and sticking it on paper and it must be perfectly straight and aligned.  That's how it worked with typewriters.

Photos were prohibitively expensive for most things, and few type styles were available on a budget.  Color?  ONE spot color was about all most could afford.

Working in 4-color on a big publication was a huge expense.  They you got PageMaker and that was a nightmare to use for anything big and YOU had to do it, not give orders to the professionals at the press.  

Never wish for a typewriter!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Do you remember the red and black ribbon and praying for a few more letters of ink?  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@santorini   Now that is ingenuity!  I've never thought of pairing a laptop with an external keyboard.  Thank you, great suggestion!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@santorini   Now that is ingenuity!  I've never thought of pairing a laptop with an external keyboard.  Thank you, great suggestion!

@Laura14 And if you have an old monitor two are a blessing for any kind of publishing and page layout

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

about a year ago I switched to a macbook

from a big dell laptop

the software and os wasn't a big switching issue

but the keyboard has a very different feel, but you do get used to it 

I got mine from Costco with a coupon and saved about $100 

it's worth the trip to an Apple store tho to get good product advice,   of course that's not available  now  

mr JTB bought one recently and the keyboard has been updated too softer

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  I have nothing to add to the excellent suggestions & advice you have already been given.  That being said.....

"I am planning on doing a self publishing business"

Me personally, I would max out everything...RAM, Storage & Processor.

Get the largest screen retail space - MBP 16 in (or wait for Apple to come out w/a 17 in.

Purchase AppleCare (Check w/Apple to see if they have a "business" version.

Optional:  Call the online Apple Store & speak w/a sales person.  Explain to them exactly what you want to do.  They will "advise" you about your needs to run your business & recommend which will be best for you-Air or PRO.  No  sales tactics.

Regarding price:  Strongly advise you to go to the "Buy" website & pretend to buy.  Select the model Mac, add all the stuff you want.  This way you will SEE the exact price of your computer w/all the additions.  If you can't afford to "max out," you can go down a slot or 2.

copy/paste link---> apple.com/mac/compare/?modelList=MacBookPro-16,MacBookPro-13_1,MacBook-Air-Retina

Check out Apple's refurbish website.  Deals to be had there too.  You can get AppleCare for them too.

copy/paste link---> apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac

If there is an educator and/or student in your family you will get a discount.  I believe there is a military discount too.  Check w/the sales person and or the discount website.

copy/paste link---> apple.com/us-hed/shop

FWIW....

I am not an expert just an ordinary Mac user.  I have been a Mac user since 1999.  I am on my 3rd iMac (2017).  I also have a 15" 2012 MBP still going strong.  So I know the ins & outs of what is needed to make Macs run smoothly & for years on end.  Maxed out:

#1 RAM (speed).  The more memory you have, the speedier the Mac.

#2 Storage

Note:  If an ordinary user (using for fun) maxing out is not really necessary.   Go w/what you can afford.

I also use "dumb downed cheat books" called  "The Missing Manual."  I feel that manual is far better than the "For Dummies" manuals.

Last but not least.....

BACKUP.....BACKUP......BACKUP

HTH

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 If you have time to wait for stores to open, and there is an apple store near you, make an appointment there and you will find the help you need for your particular application.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14

You should be able to find reviews online for the  Apple laptop or desktop  that would run this premium software.

I would start at the software company site and read customer reviews.

I would then look for hardware. A Google search for the new Apple laptops. Notebookcheck.net, and Notebook review are two of many sites.