Valued Contributor

I'm Back with another question !

[ Edited ]

So there are a couple of Aps on my phone- which I'll never use- (frankly I don't USE my Smart tracfone phone all that much anyhow) BUT they warn that it might screw up other aps if I were to delete them- ok - so in the meantime say I want to start putting photos on my phone -- I read that you can buy micro sd cards for tracfone smartphones (and I know mine will take them) so does anyone have suggestions for which are best and how "big" should I get just so it doesn't use up all my phone's memory.? I really prefer a REAL camera - but if I am sometimes looking to have some on my phone and I'm reading that  that's the option so as not to run out of memory but I don't want to spend a fortune either. ANYONE got suggestions? TIA!!!  AND HEY- WHAT IS THIS "SPOILER BAR AT THE BOTTOM???

Spoiler
Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Re: I'm Back with another question !

Hi, doll.  I have no inkling about the phone apps but the spoiler thing on the bottom, you may have accidentally hit something and that came up.  Anway.... 

here's my tag line....

"Just get rid of it!"

I made that one up meself!  Smiley Happy   Sorry I couldn't help with your phone issues.  I'm sure someone can. XO

Respected Contributor

@sipp wrote:

So there are a couple of Aps on my phone- which I'll never use- (frankly I don't USE my Smart tracfone phone all that much anyhow) BUT they warn that it might screw up other aps if I were to delete them- ok - so in the meantime say I want to start putting photos on my phone -- I read that you can buy micro sd cards for tracfone smartphones (and I know mine will take them) so does anyone have suggestions for which are best and how "big" should I get just so it doesn't use up all my phone's memory.? I really prefer a REAL camera - but if I am sometimes looking to have some on my phone and I'm reading that  that's the option so as not to run out of memory but I don't want to spend a fortune either. ANYONE got suggestions? TIA!!!  AND HEY- WHAT IS THIS "SPOILER BAR AT THE BOTTOM???

Spoiler
Spoiler

This is a perfect example of why you make a backup of your data on a regular basis.  If something goes wrong, you can reset then restore from a backup and all is well. 

There is no way for us to really know if saving photos on your phone will use up your memory because you didn't share how much you have.  My iPhone has 64 GB, I have a lot of photos stored and I still have additional free memory.

My advice is do a backup, delete the apps you don't use and store photos if you have the room.  But, never have only one copy of anything you can afford to lose. 

Trusted Contributor

If you look up  the info on your phone it should tell you how large the memory can be on the SD card you buy. Then check the following settings to make sure that the photos are being saved to the SD card and not the internal memory so it doesn't use up the memory on your phone.

1. Launch the camera app.
  2. Look for the gear icon and tap on it.
  3. You will now observe the screen for camera settings. As you scroll down, you will encounter the option for “Storage Location“
Honored Contributor

And with a Tracfone your photos are typically backed up automatically to Google's cloud, so you don't need to store them on your phone for long. I have Amazon Prime and also a One Drive account with Microsoft and my photos go to all three clouds. If there's a photo I need to show someone where there's no data (Wifi or 4G) I'll download the photo to the phone, but most of my photos are simply stored in the clouds. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Just to follow up on my previous post, if you're not sure if your photos are backed up, simply go to https://photos.google.com, log in if need be to your Google account, and you can see which photos are stored in Google's cloud.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

You mention apps then you mention a card, not sure what one has to do with the other.

Generally the phone comes with apps necessary to use an android/google phone, therefore they can't be deleted

If you get a card, you might be able to move an app to the card, freeing up space on your phone internal storage

If you just add a card it doesn't have an effect on your internal storage.  It's not an app

Cards come in multiples of 8.   So you can purchase an 8, 16, 32. and up.

A 32 would be adequate, a 64 would be good, anything bigger is probably more than you need.

And you can have more than 1 card.   If you are going on a vacation, if your storage is tight, either on your phone or the current card you may be using, then buy a card just for the vacation.   But if you go this route a 16 would be enough

@sipp wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Honored Contributor

I get the feeling the OP doesn't understand that a SD card doesn't "take up" memory.  It adds memory.  It expands the memory your phone has built into it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment