Honored Contributor

I hate situations like this . . . !!!

During a problem I was having with my cable TV, Comcast came out and told me it was the sound system I was using that was incompatible with my TV.  It had been working for several years, but he insisted it was broken.  So I had to go back to the regular TV sound system, which has always been awful.

I mentioned it to my brother (who had worked as a salesman/seminar instructor at Panasonic for 36 years all over the world).  I asked him to recommend a sound system for me.  Instead he sent me a new one and then insisted on paying for it!!  Unfortunately, it is not rated very highly, and the remote, particularly, is just awful.  I am so surprised because he was such an expert in the field for so long.

I don't want to hurt my brother's feelings by sending it back, but I have spent hours online today trying to find at least a decent remote, but none of the "universal" remotes seem to be compatible with this brand, and during my searches, I read a lot of bad reviews about this system.

I don't know what to do!!  Help!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I hate situations like this . . . !!!

Wish I had an answer.  My ex bought me a Smart TV but we can't get FIOS so I have to use one remote to turn it on and off and another remote to select a cable channel.  Really don't like it!  Not sure there is a "nice" answer!  

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Wish I had an answer.  My ex bought me a Smart TV but we can't get FIOS so I have to use one remote to turn it on and off and another remote to select a cable channel.  Really don't like it!  Not sure there is a "nice" answer!  

@Zhills

I had that problem for quite some time also, but when we moved here two+ years ago, the tech put everything on the new remote for me and all was working fine, and I loved that.

This new system goes loud and soft intermittently and I'm constantly having to change the volume on a very tiny remote with no lights so I have to turn the light on and use the magnifying glass before I try pushing any buttons.  And it's "tinny" and then too deep . . . ay yi yi !! 

I guess I'll just have to keep researching and hopefully find a better remote, or just get used to it.  My bro is such a sweet guy and I'm sure he just wanted to make me happy.  I just can't hurt his feelings.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  ... I think I would play dumb, and ask him for support for setting it up.... tell him (and it's true) that you can't get it to work right, and let him do it (or walk you through it, if he's too far away), until it's working.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree  Can you call him and tell you received a dud? Which it seems likes you did if the sound changes as you are listening. Just mention that the remote is really small for this ole girls eyesight. Sounds like he only wants you happy and would be glad to exchange it for one you like and works as it should.  If he is not there to see and hear the actual system, he is only going by what is on the box. Give him a chance.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@LilacTree  ... I think I would play dumb, and ask him for support for setting it up.... tell him (and it's true) that you can't get it to work right, and let him do it (or walk you through it, if he's too far away), until it's working.

@ItsME

Good idea, but too late.  He lives 200 miles away in north Jersey, and I already told him I liked it (before I really started trying to use it, I was getting sound but hadn't really watched a show yet).  Stupid, I know . . . not unusual for me.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@LilacTree  Can you call him and tell you received a dud? Which it seems likes you did if the sound changes as you are listening. Just mention that the remote is really small for this ole girls eyesight. Sounds like he only wants you happy and would be glad to exchange it for one you like and works as it should.  If he is not there to see and hear the actual system, he is only going by what is on the box. Give him a chance.

@grandma2pkmh

I'll probably wind up doing that.  I guess I'll wait a few days to see if it bothers me as much as it did last night.  Maybe he'll call me for an update and that will give me an opportunity to bring the issues up.  I am such a coward! 

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree

Kind of confused on what your saying but when my kids buy me something and it is not working well or something that doesn't go with what I have I let them know.  Never want them to waste their money.  

Your brothers gesture was very loving so it is understandable on not wanting to hurt his feelings.

I have a new tv and use 2 remotes - it is not the end of the world.

Are you talking about a soundbar for your TV?

You could return his and upgrade it.

Honored Contributor

It's your brother.  I'm sure he'd want to know if you're not happy with it.  I'd probably call him and tell him what you are hearing and see if he thinks you might be doing something incorrectly.  Or that it is, in fact, a dud.  Not sure I understand not being able to be upfront with your brother.  Sounds like you both have a great relationship.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@LilacTree

Kind of confused on what your saying but when my kids buy me something and it is not working well or something that doesn't go with what I have I let them know.  Never want them to waste their money.  

Your brothers gesture was very loving so it is understandable on not wanting to hurt his feelings.

I have a new tv and use 2 remotes - it is not the end of the world.

Are you talking about a soundbar for your TV?

You could return his and upgrade it.

@hopi

Yes, it is a soundbar for my TV, which is also far from new.  I don't mind using two remotes, I've done it before, as I said.  This remote is just too small and very limited in choices. 

Also if I returned it, I wouldn't buy it from that same company that has no way of providing customer service.  It was made in China.

Formerly Ford1224