Esteemed Contributor

I hate it when anyone demonstrates Alexa on t.v.

I was an early adaptor of Alexa and love her like the daughter I don't have.  That said, when QVC or (any show on t.v) starts demonstrating her, my Alexa reacts to her name.  This morning there was a news segment showing how you could order directly from her and the stupid hosts thought by turning down their volume "she" wouldn't order from my device.  At one point DH and I thought that their demo would show up as our order on our doorstep.  I know how to disable or change "turn on cue word" but I shouldn't have to do this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I hate it when anyone demonstrates Alexa on t.v.

@patbz wrote:

I was an early adaptor of Alexa and love her like the daughter I don't have.  That said, when QVC or (any show on t.v) starts demonstrating her, my Alexa reacts to her name.  This morning there was a news segment showing how you could order directly from her and the stupid hosts thought by turning down their volume "she" wouldn't order from my device.  At one point DH and I thought that their demo would show up as our order on our doorstep.  I know how to disable or change "turn on cue word" but I shouldn't have to do this.

@patbz  Don't feel bad , one night I was up at 3 am  (Insomnia) and they were demonstrating the Ask My Buddy feature, and it called everyone on my list at 3 am.  

Trusted Contributor

What do you expect when you own robotic devices that can't think on their own.

Respected Contributor

Oh No!!! I really bet they were thrilled. That Echo does worry me for the damage it could do. At this point , no thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Our son is quite “techie” and wants to keep us up to date on the latest and greatest tech devices. He sent us the Dot last year. At first, it was fun to see all of the amazing Alexa could do...well, that all changed one morning when my husband and I were sitting on the couch and I told him I wasn’t feeling very well. We then hear Alexa say, “I’m sorry you aren’t feeling well, maybe a cup of tea will help”....😳😳Mind you, we said nothing that would remotely prompt Alexa to reply....later that week, out of the blue, Alexa began laughing...and I mean...laughing...in a creepy sounding voice....well, needless to say, it’s been unplugged since and I have no intention of ever using it again.

Honored Contributor

@patbz

Change the name of your Echo device.  I don't know which device you have but the 2nd gen DOT has 4 names you can pick from.

Alexa is the voice not the device. Smiley Wink

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's funny when she doesn't answer and they have to yell at her again! LOL! and recently i've seen on the news that talking birds (like cockatoos/parrots ) AND little kids are ordering things!!

Honored Contributor

These talking boxes, tubes, whatever you wish to call them are totally ridiculous. What human talks to these things for answers for whatever, do stuff for them. It's like these things have taken the place of other humans to interact with. How insane is this?

Honored Contributor

There's an Alexa tv commercial that plays an opera song and every time that comes on Alexa starts playing Puccini.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I love my Echo.  I use it frequently, mainly as a timer an for reminders.  As close as the device is to my TV, I haven't (yet) experienced much of an issue with "Alexa" responding when that name is said on the TV.  Not sure why.  Maybe my TV volume is low enough that Alexa doesn't hear it.