Honored Contributor

We have had a family crisis this past week, and are trying to get into the Ipad of the family member, currently that person is  not able to give us the information we need.

I am pretty sure there is no way to bypass the password but would appreciate any help if it is possible, thanks.

Frequent Contributor

I would call Apple.  You don't have to have an AppleCare subscription just to ask them a question.  You can search for their phone number online.  I would skip the online chat options and go straight to a human being.  I've always found their customer service very helpful.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Don't try too many times (it will totally lock you out).  But usually after 2 or 3 times it will often ask you if you want to set a new password.  That's often what I do.

Along those lines....as many of you know (sorry, I ran it to the ground) about my new knees.  Well I was in rehab for 23 days.  My daughter wanted to get into my IPADS and some of my electronics.  I knew she was going to do it but couldn't find my passwords.

I didn't think about it so I get home and start getting into my IPADs and other electronics.  Every time I tried it said it was wrong.  I finally mentioned it to my daughter and she said, "Mom!  Don't you remember?  I couldn't find your passwords so I reset all of them"!  So there you have it.  That's what she did.

I had to go back and re-set all of my OWN passwords again.  I don't use passWORDS.  I use phrases.  They are impossible for other people to break them.

I was telling my son-in-law (who has a security business) that my husband used the words QWERTY.  Now that was back in the 2003.  Can you imagine if you tried to do that today?  How long would that code stay secure?  Think of all of the electronic changes that have taken place since then.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Don't try too many times (it will totally lock you out).  But usually after 2 or 3 times it will often ask you if you want to set a new password.  That's often what I do.

Along those lines....as many of you know (sorry, I ran it to the ground) about my new knees.  Well I was in rehab for 23 days.  My daughter wanted to get into my IPADS and some of my electronics.  I knew she was going to do it but couldn't find my passwords.

I didn't think about it so I get home and start getting into my IPADs and other electronics.  Every time I tried it said it was wrong.  I finally mentioned it to my daughter and she said, "Mom!  Don't you remember?  I couldn't find your passwords so I reset all of them"!  So there you have it.  That's what she did.

I had to go back and re-set all of my OWN passwords again.  I don't use passWORDS.  I use phrases.  They are impossible for other people to break them.

I was telling my son-in-law (who has a security business) that my husband used the words QWERTY.  Now that was back in the 2003.  Can you imagine if you tried to do that today?  How long would that code stay secure?  Think of all of the electronic changes that have taken place since then.

If this is really true, why bother having a password?  If all someone has to do is change it, nothing you own is safe.  There was a story on the news about the FBI asking Apple's help to break the password on a person's phone and Apple refused.  Perhaps they should have just reset it. Personally, I don't believe it's that easy.  

Frequent Contributor

There is a difference between your iPad ( iPhone, laptop etc. ) password and your Apple ID and associated password. If you know somebody's AppleID + password you can reset the password to your electronic item. You might need the person's iPhone or access to their email if 2 step verification is set up. This makes the owner aware that somebody is trying to reset password and sends a verification code to the secondary device. You would need that code to proceed.

Hope this helps,

Sylvia

Esteemed Contributor

Just a thought.. not sure about this but I have a new I-Phone.  I miss my Android but that is  not part of this conversation.  There is always a learning curve.  I did have one problem and I took it directly to  my Sprint store where I got it.  And they were able to get into it and make some password adjustments.  I am wondering if you have an electronics store as in Best Buy or something  similar where they could help you.  Computer techs in the Geek Squad probably could figure it out.  But once again. not sure, just suggesting.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do you to get in the Ipad?  I don't think you can get in w/o hiring a cyber hacker.

Honored Contributor

@Elbelle wrote:

I would call Apple.  You don't have to have an AppleCare subscription just to ask them a question.  You can search for their phone number online.  I would skip the online chat options and go straight to a human being.  I've always found their customer service very helpful.  Good luck!

I strongly second this, but I'm also not sure you'll be successful.

We've had good luck with problems at our local Apple Store, but the problem you have is a pretty tough one.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

At least once you explain to Apple, they can give suggestions of ways the person may have protected or backed up their password.

I just learned today about setting up "Medical ID" (free and comes with all phones/devices.

It allows quick access to medical info if admitted into ER, as an example.

It allows someone to access your medical information even on "locked screen."

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~