Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 553
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

How to watch app on smart tv

I like watching my grandsons play hockey on the LiveBarn app. I can connect it to my smart tv with an HDMI cable. Is there a way I can get the app right on the tv with no cable? Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 118
Registered: ‎07-07-2021

Re: How to watch app on smart tv


@Marybella wrote:

I like watching my grandsons play hockey on the LiveBarn app. I can connect it to my smart tv with an HDMI cable. Is there a way I can get the app right on the tv with no cable? Thanks!


An app doesn't need a HDMI cable.  You need to add the app to your smart TV.

 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 553
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: How to watch app on smart tv

@gadgetgal613 Thank you! I'll try to figure that out. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,693
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: How to watch app on smart tv

I'm assuming you're connecting an Apple device (Mac/iPad) to your TV using an HDMI cable now to stream Livebarn. It appears to be an iOS-only service, so if you want to stream it to a TV without using that device, you'd likely need to connect an Apple TV streaming device to your HDTV. (I don't think any HDTV comes with Apple TV built-in.) If they add additional capabilities (a Google, Roku, FIre TV, etc.) app then it would open up more options, but since they're iOS only, you're stuck with using an Apple device to stream it. And the only Apple streamer is the Apple TV streaming device.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor
Posts: 553
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: How to watch app on smart tv

@gardenman I found that out after I posted here. No, it's not an Apple, so I can't do it at this point. Hoping they change their access choices in the future. I can still hook-up the laptop!

Thank you for your reply!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,476
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: How to watch app on smart tv


@gardenman wrote:

I'm assuming you're connecting an Apple device (Mac/iPad) to your TV using an HDMI cable now to stream Livebarn. It appears to be an iOS-only service, so if you want to stream it to a TV without using that device, you'd likely need to connect an Apple TV streaming device to your HDTV. (I don't think any HDTV comes with Apple TV built-in.) If they add additional capabilities (a Google, Roku, FIre TV, etc.) app then it would open up more options, but since they're iOS only, you're stuck with using an Apple device to stream it. And the only Apple streamer is the Apple TV streaming device.


 

 

@gardenman   I have a new Sony TV that has the Apple TV App.  Several brands have that App now.  I bought this TV specifically because it had that App.


Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling





Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,693
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: How to watch app on smart tv


@NickNack wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

I'm assuming you're connecting an Apple device (Mac/iPad) to your TV using an HDMI cable now to stream Livebarn. It appears to be an iOS-only service, so if you want to stream it to a TV without using that device, you'd likely need to connect an Apple TV streaming device to your HDTV. (I don't think any HDTV comes with Apple TV built-in.) If they add additional capabilities (a Google, Roku, FIre TV, etc.) app then it would open up more options, but since they're iOS only, you're stuck with using an Apple device to stream it. And the only Apple streamer is the Apple TV streaming device.


 

 

@gardenman   I have a new Sony TV that has the Apple TV App.  Several brands have that App now.  I bought this TV specifically because it had that App.


Terminology is getting a bit confused here. The Apple TV streaming service with shows like "Ted Lasso," "The Morning Show," etc. is one thing and what many TV's/streaming devices offer but doesn't let you use apps designed for the iOS operating system like the Apple TV streaming device or a device using the iOS operating system.

 

The lovely folks at Apple have named their streaming service (which is available on many platforms) the same as their streaming device which runs iOS. "Livebarn" is an app that only runs on iOS, so you'd need a TV with the Apple TV streaming device, not the streaming service built-in. It's confusing, but to use the "Livebarn" app you need an iOS device and as far as I know, while many HDTV's and streaming devices, come with the Apple TV app, I don't think any use the Apple TV streaming hardware.

 

Don't you just love it when companies name two separate things with the same name? Yeah. It's not confusing at all. Ha! 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 118
Registered: ‎07-07-2021

Re: How to watch app on smart tv

It called mirroring or Air Play when you watch something from your Apple device to your TV.  You need Internet service and a TV which has Bluetooth.  Pair your TV and your Apple device, start playing the video and Airplay it with theTV. 

 

Airplay 

Occasional Contributor
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎05-14-2019

Re: How to watch app on smart tv

With 3 grandsons that played hockey I've watched Livebarn since it first came out.  Just go to the apps on your tv and type in Livebarn. As Livebarn makes updates, the tv's don't keep up. If you have an older tv like 2 or 3 yrs the app will no longer work. I use my laptop with the HDMI cable to watch it on my tv.