Honored Contributor

Re: How to transfer everything on old computer to new "all in one"?

@Wiscfan3 wrote:

If you ask just about any high school or college student they would be able to do it for you in a few minutes. They would be happy with $20.

@Wiscfan3,that's a very good idea. My Weight Watchers leader always tells members who have trouble with the WW app on their phones to get a 2 year to help them!

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2

That’s funny.   When we got our first computer, our eight-year-old son is the one who we called when Needing help. 

Respected Contributor

Best thing I have done is to subscribe to Carbonite.  It backs everything up automatically and you can easily put the files on your new computer.  When my old computer started making strange noises, I joined Carbonite on their free trial.  My computer had caught  some kind of virus despite having virus protection and pretty much stopped working during the trial period.  I was able to restore all of my files and photos using the Carbonite program.  The only thing it wouldn't restore was my music but it would have done that if I had been on the paid subscription at the time.

I kept the service which works out to be about $5 a month and last year used it to move my stuff to a new computer.  The only thing it does not back up automatically is videos you have saved but you can go in and manually save those.  

Respected Contributor

@47tarbaby wrote:

Just purchased last night the HP all in one. How do I transfer everything from old to new? Not tech savvy. Step by step. Many thanks.

You should be able to do this easily from the backup you've made.  Don't have a backup?  Talk to someone who had a hard drive failure, theft or natural disaster and everything is lost.  Never have only one copy of anything you can't afford to lose stored on your computer. 

Occasional Contributor

Get Laplink PC Mover.  Sometimes it is a free program that comes with computer.  It moves everything including your programs and your desktop looks just like your old one.  I had a little problem trying to transfer things wirelessly, so had to use an Ethernet cable.  Their tech support is great and will help you if you have any issues or questions.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Carbonite for backup. I transfer data with an external hard drive. 

Honored Contributor

@47tarbaby wrote:

Just purchased last night the HP all in one. How do I transfer everything from old to new? Not tech savvy. Step by step. Many thanks.

Wonder if @47tarbaby will ever return to this thread? First posts like this give me pause to giving a reply. Will see!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@47tarbaby wrote:

Wonder if @47tarbaby will ever return to this thread? First posts like this give me pause to giving a reply. Will see!

hckynut(john)

Probably not but, the advice is good for anyone who reads it. 

Respected Contributor

used laplink  i believe its called. you install it on both pcs  then follow easy instructions.  takes forever to transfer over wifi but you can use a cable