Respected Contributor

I get all my ebooks for my kindle from the library.  Most of them are from Amazon.  Occasionally a book is only available as an ePub and I can get it on my kindle fire with the Overdrive app.  I have just run into an ebook that is in a PDF format.  I looked it up and it says I need Adobe Digital Editions to read it.  I can't get this app to appear on my kindle fire, even though amazon says I bought it (free).  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Respected Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

I get all my ebooks for my kindle from the library.  Most of them are from Amazon.  Occasionally a book is only available as an ePub and I can get it on my kindle fire with the Overdrive app.  I have just run into an ebook that is in a PDF format.  I looked it up and it says I need Adobe Digital Editions to read it.  I can't get this app to appear on my kindle fire, even though amazon says I bought it (free).  Does anyone have any experience with this?

The only thing I know and you may have already did it, but did you sync your Kindle?  Soemtimes apps and books will show up on it that way.  After that, I don't know.  Probably call Amazon. 

Esteemed Contributor

You need a special Adobe Digital Editions app. http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1110436

You need to side load a Goggle Play Store app on a Kindle tablet. Please do a Google search.

Trusted Contributor

@smoky22 Did you actually download the book from your library and try opening it? PDF is a very common file format that is used for many other things besides books. I would assume that as long as Adobe Digital Editions is already on your Fire, opening the book will automatically open the applicaiton. 

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@smoky22 Did you actually download the book from your library and try opening it? PDF is a very common file format that is used for many other things besides books. I would assume that as long as Adobe Digital Editions is already on your Fire, opening the book will automatically open the applicaiton. 

The ADE is a protected format and not your regular PDF. You can download an app from the Google Play Store and or Apple App Store. I do not see an app for Kindle tablets. You then need a work around.

Respected Contributor

@juperier wrote:

I did download the book from the library and this is exactly what I thought would happen, but it didn't.  And I think it's because I can't get the app to show up on my Kindle. Maybe it really isn't compatible, although Amazon says it is compatible with a Kindle Fire.  Thanks for your reponse.

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@juperier wrote:

The ADE is a protected format and not your regular PDF. You can download an app from the Google Play Store and or Apple App Store. I do not see an app for Kindle tablets. You then need a work around.

@Nuttmeg  thank you for the additional information and the link.  I'll see if I can download google play store and get the app from there.  It was confusing because the ADE app was available from the Amazon store and they told me that I did purchase it.  Thank you so much for your help!     

Honored Contributor

@smoky22 wrote:

@juperier wrote:

I did download the book from the library and this is exactly what I thought would happen, but it didn't.  And I think it's because I can't get the app to show up on my Kindle. Maybe it really isn't compatible, although Amazon says it is compatible with a Kindle Fire.  Thanks for your reponse.

If you downloaded the book from the local library, you may want to contact them about it. I'm sure they have run into this issue before and a librarian there should be able to help you out. My local libraries have special tech help hours during the week, but you can probably call your own and ask if you can drop in anytime or during certain hours.

Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue  that is an excellent suggestion!   The ladies at my library have been very helpful to me in the past with my Kindle Fire. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22@ChynnaBlue, I had some ereader issues borrowing books as well.  The Librarians had me all fixed up in no time!  LM