Trusted Contributor

Help please! iPad I has gotten so slow.

I am so technically challenged. I have no idea what if anything I can do to fix the problem.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help please! iPad I has gotten so slow.

@isaboo   I too, am technically challenged, but I would make sure it has all its updates, power it completely off and back on, and get rid of old items that you no longer need that may be taking up space.

Clear the cookies, cache or similar and you may see an improvement in speed.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Super Contributor

You can do a forced restart.
First, close all the tabs. Then, hold down the power and home buttons until you see the Apple logo. Then, let the device reboot.

after a few minutes, you can open your iPad, and sign back in. You may have to enter your passwords for some sites.

Since the new updates, i have found this necessary to do every other week.

Honored Contributor

Also, clear your history from Safari.  Go to settings, scroll down to safari and scroll down quite a ways and click on clear history and website data. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@isaboo   I too, am technically challenged, but I would make sure it has all its updates, power it completely off and back on, and get rid of old items that you no longer need that may be taking up space.

Clear the cookies, cache or similar and you may see an improvement in speed.  

How do clear cookies?  

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Also, clear your history from Safari.  Go to settings, scroll down to safari and scroll down quite a ways and click on clear history and website data. 

What exactly would this do?  I mean would it affect my settings?

Respected Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

I am so technically challenged. I have no idea what if anything I can do to fix the problem.

Back up your system and start over.  Back up to the cloud or your computer then do a reset.  It will put it back to factory specs then you can restore using your backup. 

Honored Contributor

@isaboo wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

What exactly would this do?  I mean would it affect my settings?

@isaboo no,  it shouldn't affect anything. It's the equivalent of clearing your cache on a desktop or laptop. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when I had my old Ipad air, I cleared  the old history and it ran faster. Hope that helps..

Super Contributor

I have an older Samsung Galaxy and what I do every day is go to Settings, then click on Device Maintenance and hit the Optimize button. But if you have slow internet speed from your cable company that could be a reason too...they want you to pay more $$...I call and complain and sometime they turn up the speed for free.